First Opening! Just a bit concerned about timing...

Feb 19, 2014
Atlanta
I have searched the forum and google as well and am still quite not sure what to do... First a little thanks! We had a Doughboy oval above ground pool installed last May. We only used the troublefree method and had an amazing season of ease in regards to maintaining the water. We did cover the pool last fall with the cover that looks just like a tarp basically (green on top side black on bottom side). I am just really confused on when I should open. Very soon, here in Georgia, we will all be sitting in a heavy coating of pollen and I am concerned about keeping the filter running while I am at work because I heard it can clog quite quick due to the pollen. For those in Georgia, do you try to wait until after this has passed? I have never had green water and really don't want to start now, so I am willing to do whatever it is I have to do, just trying to decide what the right thing is... Any advise would be VERY much appreciated!
Oh and the temps here are crazy all over the place, down into the 40's and up in the low 70's. The pool is shaded by the house a good bit of the day and isn't in full sun until about 3pm.

The normal rule of thumb is to open as soon as the water gets to roughly 50 degrees. If you are trying to avoid pollen you can put that off for a while, but your odds of getting algae start to go up the longer you wait.

Thank you, I will just put a thermometer just inside the pool at the skimmer mouth since that is the easiest spot to check it. It has been pretty cool here at night so hopefully that is keeping the temps down under the cover. I will stop and get a new thermometer tonight, the kids destroyed the poor shark from last year... LOL

If you want to open now, do so and leave the pump off while at work and run it when home, checking the skimmer box regularly.

Ok, thanks, would there be any issue with it settling down and becoming a problem? I know I want to at least wait until I get my refills for the TF100, but with me being in Georgia they come fast. I don't mind leaving it closed a while longer I just don't want green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.