Low CYA

Apr 30, 2014
California
Well here we go again with another cya thread but this has to deal with the California drought, we are nothing but sunny for the past month straight and due to hit our first 90 degree day this Friday and water temp is climbing. My pool averages 6+ hours of sun a day and my cya is right around 30, it takes almost the hole test tube for the dot to disappear on the k200, should I bring the cya up or just deal with it? I didn't know it has gotten so low but it's been really windy and my backyard is torn up and all dirt so I've done a lot of back washing all winter maybe 1 evey 2 weeks!

You are at the low end of our recommended level for CYA so there is no rush to adjust it higher.

Are you using liquid chlorine to chlorinate the pool?

I suggest you track how much chlorine you are adding daily as this will give us more of an idea of how much to increase the CYA if any at all.

I would raise CYA now. There isn't any real rush, but we are getting into the start of the swimming season and it is nice to start the season at the high end of the normal range, so it will still be in range at the end the season .

I would raise CYA now. There isn't any real rush, but we are getting into the start of the swimming season and it is nice to start the season at the high end of the normal range, so it will still be in range at the end the season .

huge +1 to this.

I'd crank it to 45-50, personally. That's where mine is, full sun most of the day. Keeps the burn off at a minimum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.