Thinking of repacing my pump

Mar 28, 2013
Springfield PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am considering replacing my pump for a more efficient one. I have been reading on TFP about the advantages of the VSP's and that seems like the direction I want to go. I was looking at the Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar but am not sure if its an overkill. Would upgrading my filter to 60Sft make more sense than spending on a new pump?

In Pensilvania you will never save enough on electricity to pay the up front costs of a large variable speed pump like the EcoStar, especially if you are replacing a pump that is currently working. If you had to replace the pump anyway you best choice would be a two speed pump.

How do you know you have 30' of head? Although knowing this does not matter at all.

Is there anything wrong with your existing pump? If not, you could just buy the equivalent sized motor in a 2-speed variant and install it on your existing pump.

I came up with that figure by averaging distance from both skimmers plus main drain. I will get more accurate measurements later this week when it warms up because that was entirely an estimation with no tape. There is actually nothing wrong with my existing pump and I just had the motor replaced last season. I thought I would save some money and be able to circulate the water longer with a VSP.

That is not how you determine head loss, it is not that easy ... but like I said there is no need to know it.

Why do you need to circulate the water longer? Have you seen this article: Determine Pump Run Time

The cheapest path forward would be to get a 2-speed motor for you existing pump. Even then it may take a long time to save more in electricity to offset the added cost of buying a new motor.

Is there a 2 speed pump you recommend that can replace the one I have with minimal trouble. I have the (AO Smith SQ1072 Pool Pump Motor 3/4 HP). I am okay with replacing the motor by itself but the basket is such a pain to open and clean.

What pump do you actually have? You keep posting the motor information.

Is it wired for 115V or 230V power?

These are one option to search for:
B2981 is a 2-speed for 115V
B2980 is a 2-speed for 230V

I have looked around the pump and do not see much information regarding exact pump. The lid on the basket says American Products co. P/N 393016. It is wired for 230V but can run on 115 as well. Jblizzle the frame is a 48Y and am not sure the ones you recommended (56J) can fit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pump stand likely has little spacers than can be removed to support the 56Y. There may be other options that are 48Y I did not spend much time looking. Confirm you have the spacers before you buy anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.