New Guy From New Orleans Area!

Z7What

Mar 23, 2015
New Orleans Area
Just stumbled across this site when searching online for Prestine Blue. To make a long story short, I read some of the things yall have to say about Prestine Blue and im very shocked and now scared and really don't know what to do.

9 years ago I bought a house with a 24' Round 54" Tall pool. The previous owner of the house left all the chemicals in the shop. There was a bottle of Blue, Clean, Check, and Shock. Each bottle had a sticker on it from the place that it was bought from. Good thing because I was new in town and didn't have a clue where anything was. So anyways, I go there and talk to the lady (been doing pools for 19yrs) about how to care for the pool. Over the last 9 years my pool has NEVER been green, NEVER been cloudy, NEVER turned hair green, NEVER had water bugs, NEVER made anybody sick, etc. It couldn't be easier, every week I shock it and every other week I bring a sample in to be tested. She tells me to put this much shock, filter, this much Prestine Blue, this much Prestine Clean, this much ABCEFG, Etc. Takes the time to hand write exactly what I need to do and it works.

Now onto the things I read about Prestine Blue and how its said that the BBB Method is better. It seams to me that it takes a good amount of time to use this method. I work 12hr rotating shift work, a mechanic on the side and have a 1year old so there isn't much time left in the day to add another thing to the list. Is it really that bad to use it? Being as my pool is always perfect with little effort from me is making it hard for me to stop using Prestine Blue.

I have read a lot "never met a person that didn't have issues with Prestine Blue". Well, I couldn't be happier with it.

Just a little background of the pool.

The Pool is 24'Round X 54" Tall and about 12-14years old with Skimmer and Center Drain
Replaced the liner, skimmer, and drain about 2 years ago
Replaced the SD-60 Sand Filter a couple months ago along with new sand
Whenever the pool isn't being used there is a Lil Shark with a Leaf Canister in the pool making sure it stays clean, I also have a net attached to a bracket I made just before the skimmer that catches things before there able to get into the pump.

Wayne

Welcome to to TFP!

Keeping your water clear is not the primary concern. Copper does a good job keeping algae at bay, but in a pool it is ineffective at killing pathogens, so the use of such a product simply masks a lack of actual sanitation. That's why Pristine Blue is not an EPA certified pool sanitizer. It is not safe to maintain your water with any copper algaecide unless you also maintain exactly the same chlorine levels as required with no copper in the water. Since another sanitizer is still required, there is zero benefit to using any copper product in a pool.

So basically the Granulated Chlorine/Shock does the same thing as the Prestine Blue "claims" to do?

Had my water tested yesterday and she said I needed 1.5lbs of Shock, 6oz of Prestine Blue, and 3oz of Prestine Clean. I put 2lbs of Shock in but have not put the Blue or Clean in yet.

Wayne

So basically the Granulated Chlorine/Shock does the same thing as the Prestine Blue "claims" to do?

Had my water tested yesterday and she said I needed 1.5lbs of Shock, 6oz of Prestine Blue, and 3oz of Prestine Clean. I put 2lbs of Shock in but have not put the Blue or Clean in yet.

Wayne
Rather than saying "Granulated Chlorine/Shock" we would just say chlorine. The basis of our system is understanding your pool and only adding what it needs when it needs it. It always needs a sanitizer and we have found that chlorine best for that job. If you get it from liquid chlorine or a salt water chlorine generator doesn't matter. Granulated Chlorine/Shock adds other things to the pool depending ion it's type, but most add CYA/Stabilizer or others add CH. Either of these can have negative effects if their levels get too high.

Always remember the source of information you are getting. The pool store has a vested interest in seeing you continue to buy their products which is a conflict of interest in my opinion. We don't have that conflict, but some would say advice you get over the internet is worth what you pay for it.

Only you can decide what is best for your family.

To quote Dave, Site Owner of TFP:
Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.

If you decide to take control of it yourself I can assure you it really doesn't take that much time. It will at first as you learn the tests and how often you need to test what. When I converted to TFP system it was taking me 20 - 30 minutes a day. Now it is probably less than 10 averaged out because I don't do something every day. The other thing to keep in mind is what is all of that Prestine Blue, Prestine Clean and shock costing you? The two things I regularly use are Muratic Acid from Lowes to adjust the pH and chlorine. In my case the chlorine is plain old WalMart bleach. This time of year I use about two bottle of bleach a week, in the summer that goes up to 3 - 4.

So how does your water look?

Like this on a sunny day?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We are not here to convert you. We are here to teach a method of pool maintenance that is guaranteed to work.

It sounds like what you are doing is working well enough for you. Most of us would be concerned that while the water is clear, it may not be safe if the FC level is too low. The required FC level to keep the pool clear and safe is a function of the stabilizer level (CYA) as shown in the FC/CYA Chart. Depending on the type of "shock" you are using weekly, you could be raising the CYA level and making the FC less and less effective.

You have found a method that appears to work for you for 9 years. With a little more time commitment, and some learning, you could most certainly save yourself some money on maintenance and have a safer and cleaner pool as a result.

So how does your water look?

Like this on a sunny day?

This is the best pictures I have on my phone.
D5C38CAE-2D72-4043-A1F3-892B49F59AA3.jpg

F0D2EEA9-038B-4E08-89A1-AECF62356A49.jpg

Not sure what your pictures are trying to show! The pool is crystal clear!

Wayne

Some newbies come with hazy pools saying it's Crystal clear when in fact, they are not. That's what I'm getting at. They've not seen what a TFP pool looks like.

Sparklypoolitis... Its a real thing! :mrgreen:

Z7What,

I live in Mandeville and I have been following this forum since I built my pool in 2012. My prior pool was a maintenance nightmare. Constantly adding chemicals of various sorts at the pool stores direction and never really knowing myself what my chemical levels were. I found this site and decided to take control. One of the main things I learned from this site is how inexpensive it is to run a pool. I have a SWCG to generate chlorine and I only spend around $160 per year for chemicals and I run mine year round. All I buy is Muratic Acid, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and CYA. I looked up the Pristine Blue and Pristine Clear and that stuff looks expensive. How much are you spending a year on chemicals? The method they teach here works, I know from experience. I just love the fact my pool is so cheap to run and I have never had to "shock" my pool. I love when kids come over to swim because they always remark about how clear the water is. I love being in control of it and knowing exactly what it is doing. Good luck with your pool.

Z7What,

I live in Mandeville and I have been following this forum since I built my pool in 2012. My prior pool was a maintenance nightmare. Constantly adding chemicals of various sorts at the pool stores direction and never really knowing myself what my chemical levels were. I found this site and decided to take control. One of the main things I learned from this site is how inexpensive it is to run a pool. I have a SWCG to generate chlorine and I only spend around $160 per year for chemicals and I run mine year round. All I buy is Muratic Acid, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and CYA. I looked up the Pristine Blue and Pristine Clear and that stuff looks expensive. How much are you spending a year on chemicals? The method they teach here works, I know from experience. I just love the fact my pool is so cheap to run and I have never had to "shock" my pool. I love when kids come over to swim because they always remark about how clear the water is. I love being in control of it and knowing exactly what it is doing. Good luck with your pool.

To be completely honest I spend about $250ish a year on chemicals, I go through about 2-64oz bottles of Prestine Blue @ $56.99 each, 1 64oz of Prestine Clean @ $56.99 each and about 50-70lbs of 68% Chlorine a year, I get 100lbs of that from a friend for $75.

Wayne

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now onto the things I read about Prestine Blue and how its said that the BBB Method is better. It seams to me that it takes a good amount of time to use this method. I work 12hr rotating shift work, a mechanic on the side and have a 1year old so there isn't much time left in the day to add another thing to the list. Is it really that bad to use it? Being as my pool is always perfect with little effort from me is making it hard for me to stop using Prestine Blue.
Wayne

I would like to address the good amount of time part. The first week of TFP method (BBB) is a little involved. Learning how to use the test kit and getting the pool balanced does require some daily testing and chemical adding. However, once you have your pool figured out and balanced, you will spend maybe 5 minutes twice a week keeping it balanced. You will probably spend more time in the pool store getting your water tested than you will doing it yourself. As for cost? My 20' x 54" pool requires a gallon to a gallon and a half of 10% bleach a week. I get it at a local farm and ranch store for $2.50 a gallon. Rarely do I have to add anything else. To each his own I guess but personally I am glad I found this forum and method.

The OP stated he had a 1 year old child. I'd get a little concerned with exposing a baby to extra chemicals, but also exposing a pool to a baby in diapers. Chlorine bleach is the perfect sanitizer here and any pool that has a baby in diapers in it requires more frequent testing than just weekly testing if a baby has been in the pool and left organic matter in the water.

The OP stated he had a 1 year old child. I'd get a little concerned with exposing a baby to extra chemicals, but also exposing a pool to a baby in diapers. Chlorine bleach is the perfect sanitizer here and any pool that has a baby in diapers in it requires more frequent testing than just weekly testing if a baby has been in the pool and left organic matter in the water.
He is my man concern, along with other babys and children that swim in my pool. Over the past 9years we have had zero side effects with the use of Prestine products. No skin or health issues with that baby, he did get in a couple times last year with me. Never a issues with someones hair changing colors. nothing. It may sound like im talking myself out of it, im truly not. Im just trying to get a understanding of it all.

I have in the past put bleach in my pool instead of shock just cause it was easier to buy it instead of shock when I was out. Now that I just 100lb bucket through a friends company its pretty cheap. I have mentioned to the lady at the pool place that I go to that I have done this and she claims that bleach breaks down after 24hrs. Is this true?

Well, you could be saving that Pristine Blue cash for a little beer money...just saying... :cheers:
That's what im talking about!

z7what,

is is there any chance you could post your test results from the pool store?

Sorry I had planed to ask her for the info from the sample but I was in such a hurry the day I brought it I didn't get a chance too. When I go next week I will be sure to get the info and post it. If your ever in the Laplace area id love to buy you a beer and talk to you more about this.

Is it required to drain the pool completely when going to the BBB Method? Also, I know(at least I think I do) that its best to run the pump during the hottest part of the day, but is there a best time to add shock? One more question, being as I get 100lbs of shock(68% IIRC) for $60-$75 would it still be best to use bleach over it, id imagine over the course of a year the amount of gallons bought would equal to about the same spent on shock. I could also get bleach from the same friend that gets me the shock. He said he could make me a batch of bleach stronger than I have ever seen before, not sure of the percentage though, I would have to ask. He works for a chemical company.

Wayne

Bleach will degrade over time while it is stored. That is why most people do not use the chlorine at Lowes and such stores as it has sat for so long on the shelf.

Bleach does not "break down" in the pool. It gets used by "killing" the bad stuff in the pool as well as the sun will eat it up.

I do not know if you would need to drain your pool.

Kim

It will depend on your copper levels. You could risk unsightly staining if your pH would go through the roof or could could just wake up one day and BAM nasty stains.

The best time to feed the pool bleach is in the evening so you're not competing with the sun. Bleach breaks down in 2 ways. 1 is by killing organics in the pool and the other is by sunlight. By adding CYA to around 50ppm, you can eliminate some of the Sun's ability to break the chlorine down. If you're swinging shifts, there is no reason why you can't dose the pool in the morning. I've dosed mine mid day if it needs it.

By buying the TF100, using it and getting a feel for it, pool maintenance has never been faster and easier and you're lucky because you can probably get deals that are unheard of and Not readily available to us as a whole! I'd certainly take advantage of that if I were you. Within a month, I bet you could find you're pool's sweet spot diet and Willy nilly it unless weather starts to play a big factor in It. Most nights, I'm heading out to work at 6pm and dumping chlorine in the pool for the next day n having hubby turn the pump off at 9:30p on his way out.

I stock pile bleach in my cool dark basement.

I am glad your Pristine working well for you.

One thing to remember, semantics plays a big role in understanding what the BBB method is all about.

Bleach=Chlorine=Sanitizer=Shock*=Granulated Shock*=Powder*=Pucks*

The effective ingredient for the cleaning of pools is chlorine and all of the above are chlorine in different "packages". I added the * as these items also have Stabilizer which is a double edged sword. The other difference is the amount of effective chlorine.

I know when I was using the Pool Store (PS) testing, I would spend an hour or more each time I tested, with the drive over, wait, test, buy, drive home, add to the pool and such. Now, I test in evening, somewhere between sunset and bedtime, with a cold beverage. The testing takes about 5 minutes, the adding of chlorine or other chemicals takes seconds and I am done for the day. If I miss a day, I can recover the next day. If the day was cool, it may not need anything added. If I missed a weekend with PS testing, I was sunk as I could not get to the store during the work week.

My case is of the wanting to understand pool water care, doing it myself. The pool store for me was a bit 'IN THE DARK' never was sure why I needed so many kinds of chemicals. Test this week at pool store and put in this chemical, next week you need that chemical.
Found TFP 4 years ago, got my TF-100XL and was a bit overwhelmed at first.

That didn't last long with the resources here and learned that the pool water did exactly what it was told to do by only adding what the testing results showed. The best part for me is I got a college education for free other than buying my TF-100 test kit here at TFP.
My pool has a personality that I fully understand and that gives me a solid comfort knowing that my pool is very safe and sanitized for my grand kids to use.
Pool care for me has become very simple, saves time and my costs reduced.
I never have needed to shock pool since I started BBB.

I use 10% liquid chlorine from a local pool store ($5.15/2.5 gal carboy jug)
Consumption is about 3-4 jugs a month in the summer with the pool being heavily used (almost swimming everyday) to 1 1/2 jugs in winter time.
I have only needed maybe 2 gals a year for muratic acid (34.1%) (Home Depot)
The only other product was stabilizer-conditioner-CYA also from home depot. I have used about three 5 lbs jugs in 4 years ($20 each)
Not much cost IMO other than electric (I have upgraded to a 2 speed motor)

Did a full test this past weekend, my results:
FC: 4.5
CC: 0
TC :4.5
PH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 260
CYA: 45-50

I found that my pool likes the TA @ 90 to keep the ph pinned at 7.5-7.6 all the time and don't need to add any acid all summer during heavy swimming.

Chuck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.