booster pipe leak

Aug 15, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS
138.jpg

I have multiple problems with my pool, but thought I would start with the simplest problem, and work my way to the most complicated.

I have attempted to attach a picture, but it is difficult to tell in this format if the pic is attached.

I have a leak at the hose on the booster pump. Not certain what this hose is for. It seems to go into the ground, perhaps attaching to other pipes underground.

It is this hose at the connector that is leaking, not the connector to the booster. I tried to remove the hose and the connector, but was not certain how to remove it, and did not force it. Can anyone advise me how to repair this leak?

Also, there is a silver band around the booster where the connecter seems to connect to the booster. Can you tell me what this is for? NFIG]34869[/ATTACH]

That hoes goes to the pressure cleaning port, where you would attach a polaris or other pressure cleaner. I have a leak in the exact same spot on mine. There is likely an o-ring or rubber washer in that hose fitting that needs to be replaced. I haven't figured out how to take it apart yet though, I've been chasing another leak in a return line. If you post the make and model of the pump then someone may be able to find the replacement fitting, and how to get it apart.

We seem to be having the same problem. I also have a rubber washer in the fitting. I also have not figured out how to get the hose off. The white connect just turns around inside the rubber wahser, and will not come out. I contacted a Polaris technicain and what she told me is below.

This hose is a soft hose connection for those pools without dedicated lines. It sounds as if you do so I'm not sure why this would be necessary. However, the hard white plastic part of the leak is the Quick Disconnect that holds the hose to the pump volute (face plate). I'm sorry but I don't know where the small metal band came from as we don't manufacture that part of this setup.
It sounds, and looks, like you need to replace that quick disconnect. That part number is R0621000.

The thing is I can't replace the quick disconnet because I can't get it out. In other emails conversations this technician said it screws into the booster.

Any help will be appreciated.

To me, it looks like a threaded male PVD adapter is screwed into the pump and the the pipe/hose is then welded into the other side with PVC solvent. But, I have not seen a booster pump in person to confirm this.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are not using a pressure cleaner, then why even bother fixing this?

What you have is a 3/4" mta screwed into the pump with 3/4" flex pvc glued into the mta.

The silver band is a reinforcing band. It comes from the factory like that. It is not removable.

There is a 3/4" female threaded hole that takes a 3/4" male threaded adaptor. You can replumb with hard pvc, flex pvc or one of the booster pump hose kits (Pentair, Polaris etc.).

To remove the fitting, you have to cut the pipe and unscrew the fitting.

James W,

Thank you for answering my questions.

As I tried to indicate in my post, the location of the leak is where the hose goes into the mta. What would cause it to get a leak when it has been undisturbed?

Since you state the flex pvc is glued into the mta, is there anyway I can just glue it back without replacing anything?

Most likely, the glued connection was not done properly, creating a weak joint. There are multiple ways to make a bad joint. Flex pipe takes more care when making glued joints.

Probably the easiest way to fix it would be to cut the flex pipe an inch or two above the mta, then unscrew the mta. Then, glue a short length of flex pvc into a new mta. Wait at least 10 minutes. Then, thread the mta into the pump with sealant. Then join the two ends of flex with a coupling. Wait at least 8 hours and you should be good to go.

You did not answer before, are you actually using this booster pump for something?

That would be 3 joints with the flex tube as James described it, plus having to buy more flex which is not cheap. I might cut the flex off right above the MDT fitting. Then get a new MDT fitting and a 45 degree angle fitting and a small piece of PVC. Then glue a short piece of PVC pipe into the MDT, screw in the MDT fitting with stub and glue the 45 fitting on it and glue the existing flex pipe into the 45. Should be less stressed that way. Obviously multiple ways to do this :D

The supplies should be readily available at any hardware store. The flex pipe might not be carried everywhere. Or, it might only be sold in rolls. A pool store might have some.

Jblizzle's solution is a good one, too. You would need (1) 3/4" pvc schedule 40 mta, (1) piece of 3/4" schedule 40 pvc pipe. (1) 3/4" schedule 40 45 degree fitting, (1) roll of Teflon tape or pipe thread sealant and a small can of pvc glue and a small can of primer.

The fittings are cheap, get extra in case of mistakes. Check out a few YouTube videos about working with pvc pipe and you should be able to do it.

Note: Glue the short piece of pvc pipe into the mta (male threaded adapter) before screwing the mta into the pump. The reason is so that glue does not drip into the pump when gluing the pvc pipe into the fitting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The fitting is called a 45. It's basically a coupling bent to a 45 degree angle. Ask at any hardware store and they will know what you need. Ask for schedule 40 pvc. They will know what that means.

The flex pipe is not all that flexible, it is rather stiff. I have owned the pool for 4 years, and it just has started to leak. I believe it did start to leak because of the stress on the hose, maybe I stepped on it not knowing what it was.

Jblizzle's solution does sound like a good solution as well. To a novice like me, Jblizzle's solution sounds more complicated, and more moving parts.

There is a plumbing supply store near by, do you think they would have the needed parts.

Do you think that is the best route for me to take, where I use the 45? Jblizzle's solution?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, thank you for your help. I believe I can get this done now thanks to the help that I have received.

- - - Updated - - -

Jblizzle, thank you for your help. I believe I can get this done now thanks to the help that I have received.

020.jpg

Easy Peasy. Mission accomplished. Thank you James W. and jblizzle. Something that I believed was going to be complicated, because the Polaris technician led me to believe that, turned out to be a simple fix. Approximate cost $11.00.

Both methods, would have worked fine. While doing the work, it looked like the plan with the 45 might not come loose as easily in the future, as the plan with the flex going straight into the mta (although not certain one method is better than the other.)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.