Plaster coming off

Mar 23, 2015
Edgewater Florida
I live in Florida and have a gunite and Diamond Brite pool built in 2004. I leave the pump run year round and brush regularly in the summer.
This winter it didn't get brushed for 2 months in Jan and Feb and I didn't add any chemicals due to the cold weather.
It was starting to show some yellow in March when the weather turned nice so I added some chlorine and proceeded to brush. I noticed a cloud of white was forming and some tiny pebbles/plaster that didn't float. I managed to coax everything down to the main drain and let the pump run all day. It looked pretty good until I checked it the next day and noticed the pebbles/tiny plaster pieces forming little piles in a couple places again. I grabbed the nylon brush again and the white cloud is back. Just like I never brushed in the first place. This has happened for 3 days in a row. I checked the chemistry and the ph is a little high and the alk is a little low. The hardness has always been high.
I will balance the alk tomorrow but I have a couple questions:
1. Do I need to just keep brushing and brushing until this stops?
2. Will brushing these particles that don't float down the main drain hurt the pump and /or plumbing?
3. Will I need a re-plaster? Like this year?
4. Did my neglect of the chemicals and no brushing cause this?

Thank you,
Mark

I live in Florida and have a gunite and Diamond Brite pool built in 2004. I leave the pump run year round and brush regularly in the summer.
This winter it didn't get brushed for 2 months in Jan and Feb and I didn't add any chemicals due to the cold weather.
It was starting to show some yellow in March when the weather turned nice so I added some chlorine and proceeded to brush. I noticed a cloud of white was forming and some tiny pebbles/plaster that didn't float. I managed to coax everything down to the main drain and let the pump run all day. It looked pretty good until I checked it the next day and noticed the pebbles/tiny plaster pieces forming little piles in a couple places again. I grabbed the nylon brush again and the white cloud is back. Just like I never brushed in the first place. This has happened for 3 days in a row. I checked the chemistry and the ph is a little high and the alk is a little low. The hardness has always been high.
I will balance the alk tomorrow but I have a couple questions:
1. Do I need to just keep brushing and brushing until this stops?
2. Will brushing these particles that don't float down the main drain hurt the pump and /or plumbing?
3. Will I need a re-plaster? Like this year?
4. Did my neglect of the chemicals and no brushing cause this?

Thank you,
Mark

1. I can't really say, as I don't know what is causing it.
2. No, it doesn't sound like something that will hurt the pump. Some may be trapped in your pump filter basket.
3. Hard to say without seeing it, but if it keeps going or getting worse, you may have to at some point.
4. Can't say without seeing some of that history. If you did, it would have to be something pretty extreme, and likely for an extended period.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.