Re: Pump run time recommendation

edge

Mar 10, 2014
Douglas, GA

Ok so after reading the Run time recommendation article... I'm thinking I should rethink my run time this season. I originally thought that it needed to be running if there was sunlight in the pool but I chlorinate by adding it directly into the skimmer and the pump circulates it. Its not slowly added or anything.

With little to NO surface debris needing to be skimmed off with help of the jets current, are you saying i can run as little as 4 hours and it be sufficient?

Is there a Calc to help me figure that out?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Edge,
adding chlorine directly to the skimmer isnt a very good idea. The high concentration of chlorine can play havoc on your pump and filter. Chlorine is extremely corrosive as Im sure you know.

Better to pour it slowily in front of a return and let the water mix it in the pool. Wait 30 minutes so it mixes with the whole pool volume and then test.

Really all you need to run your pump is enough to keep the water skimmed. Its a myth that x turnovers of the pool volume each day are required.
When stuff gets in the pool it either sinks to the bottom, or will in short order, or it floats and gets sucked in by the skimmer.
Contaminants in the pool which are between top and bottom get water logged and sink in short order, so they arent there long.
This is why its really not necessary to turn over the pool x times a day, as is recommended by the pool store people.

Every pool is probably going to be different because of environmental conditions, so there is no calculator. Way too many variables due to the environmental elements. Wind blown praries growing corn and wheat will require more run time that palm shaded tropics... etc.
So really, every pool owner has to determine what's best for them.
TFP recommends about 4 hours a day, but your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps,

Personally, I run my pump WAY more that what I should, but I absolutely HATE anything whatseover floating on my water, and absolutely LOVE seeing the surface of the water in motion. ...

About the only reasons to run longer than 4 hours (or even 2 hours) is because you have a small SWG and you need the run time to get enough chlorine in the pool OR you are trying to heat your pool (solar/heater) OR as Dave mentioned, you really hate debris floating in the pool. But the later is only about aesthetics and not about water quality. Sanitary water can be achieved with very little run time. I run only 4 hours in the heat of the summer and 3 of those are on low speed. I would probably shorten it even more if my SWG could keep up.

So as long as I run it while adding chlorine, technically I could run it in the evening for an hour or two to skim the top and thats it? WOW.... My wife will love me when the light bill arrive. I'll try this to see if the pool stay clean enough. I understand swimmer load will increase run time due to sun block and more junk getting into pool but I've just had this thought in my mind that it needed to be running. I don t know why though....all it's doing is stirring, not adding or affecting the chemicals in any way.

WOAH THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!

I think you can run less than 4 hours.

I've been running my pump 1 hour per day, and the pool is clean. If I see debris after that, I'll run it another hour, or if the debris is on the bottom, I'll vacuum it up, a 15 minute job.

When I add chlorine or MA, I add it shortly after the pump starts its 1 hour cycle, and its mixed by the end of the hour.

My advice is to run it the minimum that keeps the pool clean to your liking.

I think there is someone on the forum who has gotten the run time down to 30 min/day and still has a sparkling pool.

Now if you would just get a 2 speed pump, you would REALLY cut down on the elect use.
You would save 75% of energy spent during pump run time.

So as long as I run it while adding chlorine, technically I could run it in the evening for an hour or two to skim the top and thats it? WOW.... My wife will love me when the light bill arrive. I'll try this to see if the pool stay clean enough. I understand swimmer load will increase run time due to sun block and more junk getting into pool but I've just had this thought in my mind that it needed to be running. I don t know why though....all it's doing is stirring, not adding or affecting the chemicals in any way.

WOAH THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!

mas985 said:
I think there is someone on the forum who has gotten the run time down to 30 min/day and still has a sparkling pool.
I think this may be referring to me, and this would be correct as my typical pump run time is between 30-40 min/day during the height of the swim season. Guests tell me that my pool is the cleanest, clearest pool that they have seen. Maintaining proper chlorine levels plays the leading role in maintaining water clarity under most conditions and I am very diligent about that. I do make adjustments to the run time following pool parties as well as when an unusually large amount of debris gets blown into the pool. My typical swim season M.O. is to test the chlorine level after a short, but vigorous, swim (which churns up the water) in the early evening when the sun is no longer hitting the pool. I then turn on the pump, test the chlorine level, add the necessary amount of chlorine and let the pump run for about 30 minutes. That's it!

One other thing...since switching to the TFP method (about 4 years ago), I have not had to SLAM my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Wow, the previous owners of my home had the 2-speed pump set up to run on low 24/7/365. I thought I was really cutting back when I rewired the pool pump and set it to "only" 8 hours on low. Very educational thread.

It took faith for me to try the TFP method on my pool this year and it worked perfectly. BUT, i ran my pump 24/7 the entire time because i was skeptical of the methods and for some reason i thought that if i ran my pump constantly, that it would help keep the water clear. After understanding the chemistry relationship to keep a pool clear, i'm going to cut back on my pump time this year to at least 6-8hrs a day.

Not that I dont trust the advice here....lol I'm more of a take it slow kinda person when I have no clue about something. I'll eventually get it down to 4hrs or less. But the point is, I'm cutting back this year because all the advice i've gotten from this site has "so far" paid off.

So listen to the Mods and the experts here. They know their stuff.

kris77 said:
Not that I dont trust the advice here....lol I'm more of a take it slow kinda person when I have no clue about something.
This is actually a sound approach since there is not a "one-size-fits-all" method to determining the pump run time that applies to every pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.