New Owner/Builder Pool in Las Vegas

QingGuy

Silver Supporter
Mar 22, 2015
Las Vegas NV
Finalizing our design (should be done tonight) and should have final docs back this week for city permitting and HOA. Landscaping crew was here today removing ALL the landscaping in my backyard, completely in preparation for the build and re-landscape.

Doing free form, 36 x 26, no attached spa, Two Shamu decks one 5.5" the other 16", depth 3-7'

Any other owner/builders on here with any advice? I was on www.ThePoolForum.com but the site no longer exists. Anyone familiar with that site and what happened to it?

Will have equipment recommendations back and hope to get some feedback on what is being recommended.

I have amassed pretty good list of local subcontractors if you are looking for referrals. How far along are you, meaning have you received excavation bids, etc? Let me know if you'd like the info and I can shoot you a PM. Good luck!

@Bulldogz400 - That would be awesome, feel free to shoot me a PM! I'm hoping to have my final plans back on Friday and permit the following week. No I don't have any excavation bids yet. My landscaper was just here yesterday clearing everything and removing several trees with roots one doesn't want by the pool.

Nice to see a fellow Las Vegan on here.

OK, first hicup, don't think it's a major one but thought I'd float it here. Believe it or not I thought we were doing 3.5 - 7', even though it's clearly stated on the design document 3 - 7' I didn't notice it, hard to belive but I didn't. I think the reason being is that in the conversations with pool builders we talked about 3.5 and I figured it carried over. My fault.

So, am I going to regret this (seems minor)? My designer pointed out that it's 3' at the very end of the pool and will get deeper from there. Put that way I feel somewhat better but still wanted to throw this out there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did the same thing with my build. Had originally planned on 3' but changed it to 3'6" and I've been pleased. I also love the idea of a double wet deck. Good luck on your build! My fingers will be crossed that your subs are reliable...I had my fair share of ones that weren't.

Now make sure the EVERYONE has the updated info. Make a BIG copy of it and post it where it can been seen and looked at for reference as needed.

One po did this and he saw the subs checking it often.

Kim

What she said! I put my plans (both the design and the architectural engineered plans) in a jumbo ziploc bag and taped it to the back of the garage (adjacent to pool site) where it could be seen by all. The subs referred to it constantly. Every day that a new sub came over I would walk over to the plans and go over the details to triple check that we were on the same page.

So here's the final plan, there are a couple of minor changes, e.g. we're not taking down a wall, I have a RV gate, she just missed that.

I think I'm happy with how the final design turned out.

Attachments

• LER HOME OWNER PACKET FINAL PLAN - JPG.jpg
    LER HOME OWNER PACKET FINAL PLAN - JPG.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,487
Last edited:
Yeah, pools can be deadly but not usually by that method!

Good luck with this one - it will be fun to watch! I sat on the sidelines and read/watched quite a few builds before I started my own owner/builder pool here in AZ. Expect to work hard and you won't regret it. People always ask me how much $$ I saved. It's impossible to tell them because of all of the work I did on my own, not to mention the changes I made along the way that did not require a change order and fee to a builder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.