Can a pool be physically upgraded?

Aug 11, 2008
Bradenton, FL
The house we're buying has a simple pool. It's nice.

However, due to my medical situation, a spa would REALLY fit the bill.

Is it even possible to "upgrade" a pool to include additional plumbing, lighting and features like a Spa? I believe we could add the features without extending the pad the pool is on.

I also want to add landscaping (all these changes are likely a few years off, but I need to start researching now so I can create a budget).

I tried to search the forums for anyone detailing their upgrade story, but didn't find anything. If anyone has an upgrade story, I'd love to hear it!

Be well all,
Mack

How about adding a portable hot tub? I don't know for sure if your pool setup COULDN'T be upgraded, but I'm reasonably certain that it would be complicated and expensive. Portable hot tubs have more jets and are likely to be more comfortable than the inground kind. The plumbing is self-contained, so all you would need done is the electrical wiring. If there's enough space on your pool deck, you wouldn't even have the expense of preparing the surface for your hot tub. You would want to make sure your current surface would support the weight of the hot tub w/cracking, and that it's level.

JMO. . . HTH!

I agree, a stand alone hot tub would probably be better for your purposes. A spa attached to your pool is great (we love ours), but if you are looking for more therapeutic benefit, a stand alone is the way to go. There will be much better, more comfortable seating and LOTS more jets. You'd be able to do this at a fraction of the cost of adding a spa to your pool.

The only way I would consider adding a spa would be if you were already doing a big remodel - new coping, plaster, deck, etc.

good to know.

Thanks. I figured it'd be a big deal.

I like the idea of it being attached, but if a separate one is the way to go, perhaps we can integrate it with the existing pool with landscaping and whatnot.

Thanks for the responses.

Be well all,
Mack

Portable hottubs are definatly the way to go. Check out hotsprings hot tubs, they are my favorite and are very good for people with arthritis. You can also buy them without siding and have a contractor make a surround for you, or you can buy them with a synthetic stone siding if you want. Very nice tubs. Just do us all a fovor and dont buy a thermo spa. Thoose are super expensive and horrible to service.

I have to admit, when I read your suggestion, I was tempted to ignore it. I was afraid I was bein pitched. Glad I didn't. Of all the spa companies I looked at, Hot Springs seems to be what I would have chosen at first blush. And it wasn't close, btw.

I'm not arthritic (well, except for a little in my back) and I'm young, turning 40 this year. What I do have is tremendous headaches every day that send tension straight down my spine. I've "retired" 5 massage therapists with the tension in my back. It's not the most rigid tension, but like a George Foreman punch, it sticks with ya. So the sync'd jet feature of the higher end Hot Springs Spas is a definite must have. Plus, I really like some of the cosmetic touches and the stone facade seems to be something that could be a designer starting point to add some pizazz to an otherwise plain setup in our pool area. Beautiful, but plain.

Anyway, I just reviewed some pics of the pool area and there is a space just under the kitchen window that seems to be 72x72. So, unless there's a reason or requirement for a spa to be X feet from the house, I may just put it there. It would be under the cage but be distinct from the pool. Which I kinda like the idea of because now that I've had some time to think on it because if there is something wrong with the pool water (algae bloom, for example), the spa will be usable in the interim. I'll find out more over the coming months, but a separate spa is definitely what I'll do. The expense to amend a spa onto the pool and add a few lighting effects would be just silly, I'm finding out.

I have a hot tub and there is nothing better at relieving tension. I used to go for a massage then to the chiropractor monthly due to the headaches and muscle tightness ( I fly quite alot and the airline seats are not good for the neck). Since I got the hot tub i go about once a year, They even called to see if I had moved!! Just make sure the spa can get to a good temperature.

I just completed my pool and decided to go with a standalone spa because they are much cheaper to operate, more comfortable and I don't have to wait for it to heat up.

When calculating your budget don't forget about the electrical requirements. Although some smaller tubs can be run off of 110V, most spas require lots of power at 220V. The smaller 110V tubs typically don't have many jets and can not heat the water while running the jets. Mine required 60A/220V but 50A/220V are quite common. I did the electrical myself and material alone was about $600-700.

@sattaker - yeah, my body is used to seeing a chiropractor 4 times a week, twice a day (I told ya it was bad). So I'm really starting to put saving for the spa VERY high on the list of upgrades. We save for everything (the house is the only thing we are doing on credit for obvious reasons), so it will be a while, but still.

@cobra46 - I was already thinking about the power requirements. I know we'd have to drop another line, anyway, and since I'm no electrician (and too smart to be a Tim "the toolman" Taylor), I'll find a good electrician who won't expect me to put his kids through college for a simple drop and add to the box along with a run to the spa.

@hotrod30 - well, I've decided on the spa. How it turns out will take longer than a vegasmom's pool build (sorry, vegasmom dear, I just read that and I can only say that living well is the best revenge. After all that, here's hoping you and hubby live REAL well!).

Anyhoo, I like the Aria and the Vista (the V one, I forget the name). Size needed will be important. If there is a req that the pool be X feet from the house, that may change my choice.

Be well all,
Mack

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every once in a while, someone with lots of extra cash will redo their pool completely, ripping out everything. My uncle is in the pool business, so sometimes, he gets his hands on some of that stuff. He called me about 2 months ago telling me he had a fairly new spill-over spa for nothing.

I grabbed it, spoke to my pb, and he said it would be very simple to add on to the existing inground pool. The entire job took him around 8 hours and cost me about $2,000 for him to do.

It is raised about 12 inches, but directly next to the corner of the pool. It looks amazing.
It runs off of the same pump as the pool, and the jets work great.
I then had to have my paving guy come do the pavers. The guy did an amazing job and charged me about $1,200 to pave the entire thing and make it appear seamless with the pool, including bull-nose coping around the spa.

So all in all, it cost me $3,200. It wouldve cost another $3,000 if I had to purchase the spa itself.

The spa is great, the jets are nice, and it looks amazing.
But I have to agree with most others here. If you are doing this for health / therapy reasons, the stand alone / portable spas are better. They are more powerful, and they have MANY more jets.

I love the idea of a spa being run off of the pool water, because all I do is turn the spill over on, and I get fresh / clean water into the spa. But as nice as it is, a "real" hot tub can not be beat in terms of heat and jets :)

Has anyone ever thought of integrating a Stand-alone Spa into their pool? I don't think it would be THAT hard, but the pipin is kind of confusing. Basically, take the spa pump out of the spa and run piping for it over to the equip. pad and then have it set up so you can circulate pool water through the spa? Then you would have the benefits of the standalone spa with all the powerful jets, but the easier maintenance of a built-in spa.

I drew a diagram of how you could plumb it... I'll post it if anyone's interested.

HTH,
Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.