New pool owner with a couple questions

Mar 23, 2015
Plano, TX
My wife and I just bought a house with a pool, and I have a few questions. I am somewhat familiar with pools due to several friends that have them, but I have a couple of issues to fix with ours. First and foremost is a leak in one of the return lines at the back of the yard. I have a leak detection company pinpointing the location as we speak. The deck is only about 16" wide in the area, so I'm pretty sure I can dig under it without having to cut the deck. I was planning on using the four elbow method to repair the pipe section. Is there a better way? I don't think I'll easily be able to use a coupler since I can't move the pipe, and I think a coupler would be more likely to leak.

The next issue is with the return jets - 3 of the 4 are working great, and have plenty of flow. However, one has almost no water coming out - and this isn't even the one that is leaking. How should I go about troubleshooting it?

Lastly, I noticed that when starting up the pump, if I use the bottom drain it seems to pull in tons of air and run the pump dry. However, if I start the pump using only the skimmers, it stays primed and pushes all of the air bubbles out within a minute or so. I've tried slowly opening the bottom drain diverter valve slowly, but it still winds up pulling too much air and running the pump dry. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks for the tip. I did check the pump o-ring, and I even lubed it up well with vaseline. It doesn't seem to be leaking, since the pump will remove all air when using the skimmers only. It's only when I open the bottom drain that it starts pulling in air like crazy.

Welcome to the forum Ward1983

Regarding your question on fixing a leak... I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me address that.

I had a similar problem to yours regarding non-working jets. With ours 1 of the 3 returns was weak. I ended up fixing it by snaking it out. You might try that.

Regarding your pump losing prime, I'd guess it's pulling air from the lid (the o-ring as Patrick stated) or maybe the drain plug at the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.