Pouring acid into IntelliPH (or other canister)

jvrobert

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2014
Mesa AZ
Hi - I just got my new system + IntelliPH installed. I went to pour in the acid to the canister and thought I was pretty careful and kept my head as far away as possible while pouring, but got a nice whiff of acid vapor. Nothing serious just a quick cough and I moved away.

Is there a safety 'trick' to doing this well? It also seems to splash a bit more than I'd like, though this wasn't so much of a problem. Would it be worth it to lug a fan out there or something?

biggest thing I've been able to do was stand upwind as you pour...not above and certainly not above and downwind.

I assume the container you are pouring into can't be tilted while you pour? If it can, then you can minimize splashing by doing that.

I usually cover my mouth and nose with a tshirt hold my breath and turn my head away as much as possible while being careful not to let it splash out. I usually try and aim for in between the plastic parts.
If you get a breathful walk away and air yourself out before trying to finish.

Try to stay upwind and away from the vapor. You may be able to use a long funnel to minimize the splashing. Lowes sells a chemical respirator that you can use for about $30 if you want to completely avoid inhalation. I don't know if the one they sell has replaceable cartridges or not. Amazon has one for $24 with replaceable cartridges being about another $9. Still have to watch your eyes unless you get a full face respirator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.