Salt pellets or granulated?

gonzo

Mar 3, 2015
South Florida
I got a print out from the PB stating the following:

" There are many different types of salt on the market. We prefer to use salt pellets, they can be added directly to the pool water and will dissolve in a few hours. We don't recommend using granulated salt. That type of salt contains an anti-caking agent that tends to stain the pool surface."

Any thoughts? I will be first time salt buyer and want to make sure I get the right one.

Never heard that before. I always use Solar Salt. If the pellets are very pure (no additives) they are fine too, just take a little longer to dissolve. At least they do not appear to be trying to sell you the overpriced pool salt.

Great, thanks

The blue bag is usually the cheapest and works fine. Although I haven't seen them lately. Publix was also cheaper than lowes on the last bags I bought. It should be diamond crystal in a blue bag, usually a dollar cheaper or so than the other bags.

Oh and if you buying a lot of it, Lowes does have a 10% off coupon and home depot will take that coupon as well. You can also get discounted gift cards online for home depot and end up saving approximately 20%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do note the two different sizes. The guy down the street sells 40's for the same price that HD sells the 50's.

And that product looks OK as long as it has no additives. Salt is salt as long as all you are buying is salt and impurities that aren't harmful, thus the closer to 100% salt the better.

BTW, as a first time salt buyer, if you are getting a SWG, shut the unit off when you add the salt until it's fully dissolved, and remember, once it's in if you have too much you have to dilute it out. So don't over salt your pool accidentally! Been there, done that.

I have used solar salt, but most times it leaves a bunch of small little black spot
stuff/residue where it was dumped.
my local pool shop has some pool salt listed as food quality for $4 more than solar. I now use it
since there is no residue left over. last year they ran out.
is there a solar salt that does not leave the residue I mentioned? I did get mine at lowes.

PS my SWG runs salt between 2100 and 3400 ppm. so be sure to use what yours recommends.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.