Feral Cats getting into pool

forya

Jun 18, 2013
SE Pa (Bucks County)
I have 8 or so feral cats, that my neighbor feeds. I usually don't mind them, they seem to keep the mice away. This winter i noticed that they were climbing into my pool through a gap between my safety cover and waterfall. The snow just melted and the pool is not frozen, and they are still going in there. Has anyone else had this happen to them? What are the cats doing under there? How do I block it off?

Probably drinking the water, though they may have found a den in there out of the weather. I wouldn't block it off until you are sure there aren't kittens under there somewhere. Mama might make life rough on your cover if there are.

I kept a cat out of my boat by hooking a radio up to a motion detector light fixture under the cover. The cat came flying out and that was the end of the problem. He wouldn't go near the boat after that.

Can I assist you in finding a suppressor?

For most feral cats we trap them and have animal control take them. I buy traps at harbor freight for around $6. People feed these wild animals in the area where our business is located. They think they are doing good but the cats have become wild and are violent. I can't stand anything more than cat prints on my cars, a cat in my pool wouldn't last long.

I have a neighbor that feeds 15 of these filthy creatures, so I know your pain. Last year I used to find my mesh cover with wet spots in the middle and a trail leading to it from the edge. Hasn't happened this past winter though. I think they were going out there to get water. At least in some areas animal control will take these animals off the street, here the towns animal control is helping my neighbor feed the cats, which I think only attracts more cats. I think the radio was a great idea. I have a motion detector sprinkler which works pretty good in the warm weather (its called the scarecrow). I also have a motion detector ultrasonic deterrent which I don't think works. In some areas they have a trap-spay-release program, which helps with half the problem.

Ah, feral cats, well intending neighbors, trash bins, pools, and dogs. All a recipe for an annoyed pool owner because feeding cats brings raccoon, skunks, possums, and WTH ever else roams about at night. Anyway, the cats my next door neighbor feeds come over the fence and get up on my pool and do something...get a drink I guess but I really have no idea. I see their footprints, which are just annoying. Last year, the raccoon that also partakes of the food the neighbor leaves out also got on the pool and apparently found it to be a pleasing location the night I left the cover off. The raccoon loved it so much that when I put the cover back on, s/he started pooping on the cover. If you have never see raccoon poop, it is not for the faint of heart. We finally had to trap it and relocate it.

All this to say, I cannot help you but I just need to share my frustration about feeding feral cats with a captive audience. The feeders NEVER seem to realize the trouble they cause. And, just let me mention the noise those darn cats make when my neighbor goes away and there is no food for the cats. That makes for a real enjoyable morning in the pool.

Ok, I am done:bowdown:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.