Getting Rid of Stains Using the Ascorbic Treatment

Aug 29, 2013
Hey TFP, I've had stains in the deep end for the last couple of months now and am just now getting around to getting rid of them. I want to get rid of them in the cheapest way possible, and one of those ways seems to be the Ascorbic Treatment route. I've read the large forum about it but I wanted to get your thoughts on if there any alternatives I should consider or should I just jump in and give it a shot.

WRWRUOp.jpg
gvGw2Jr.jpg

The pool is 28,000 gallons and I'm planning to buy three pounds of http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYIM9YS?psc=1. I'm also considering to get Jack's Magic Blue Stuff and CuLater. Are there any other sequestrants I should consider, or are those two the go-to stuff. Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi,
Welcome to TFP.

Have you done any stain testing to determine what type of stain they are? Metal, Organic, Calcium scale etc....
Ascorbic Acid treatment will only work on Metal stains. It wont do anything with any other type of stain.

You can test it for metal with Vitamin C tablet. Put a tablet on the stain, and if it lightents, then its metal.
For organic staining, put a Trichlor Tablet on the stain, and if it lightens then its organic stain.

There really isnt a test that Im aware of for calcium scaling, but if you could post up some reliable test results, it might help in determining of your pool chemistry is suspect for scaling.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I agree with Dave's line of questioning, are you certain it is metal stains?
Do the "stains" feel rougher than the surrounding area?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.