Totally new to pools

Mar 22, 2015
Ohio
Hi everyone.
I live in Ne Ohio and am excited to start my pool journey. We just moved into a new house with a nice backyard for a pool. it is open and no trees( that will follow after the pool)
What I know so far is that I want a fiberglass pool with a automatic cover. So many people are suggesting to go with the salt water system but have heard many cons and only a few pros. What is your take on this.
I have 2 dogs and 3 kids and that is why I want the auto cover for my own sanity and safety of everyone.
How do you tell which fiberglass pools are the best?
How do you pick your contractor/installer?Any other tips/hints , advice would be great.
Thank you in advance
Heather

Welcome to TFP!

What cons have you heard about SWCGs?

Choosing a builder can be tough. In most areas, fiberglass pools aren't as common as vinyl and gunite, so you may be limited in your choice of builders.

My three thoughts regarding brand new pools are: A bigger pool isn't much, if any, harder to maintain, so don't be afraid of size. Most people would be happier with a lot more concrete around the pool than they think. A building near the pool to provide equipment storage, shade, a changing area and bathroom is really nice.

Welcome to the forum Heather :wave:

The nice thing about having a SWCG is you aren't lugging gallons of bleach from the store to your home to your pool.
A SWCG will also be adding chlorine even if you aren't able to be there all the time.

The only con I know of is the initial cost.

Welcome to TFP!

What cons have you heard about SWCGs?

Choosing a builder can be tough. In most areas, fiberglass pools aren't as common as vinyl and gunite, so you may be limited in your choice of builders.

My three thoughts regarding brand new pools are: A bigger pool isn't much, if any, harder to maintain, so don't be afraid of size. Most people would be happier with a lot more concrete around the pool than they think. A building near the pool to provide equipment storage, shade, a changing area and bathroom is really nice.

Hi,
The cons are doing damage to the motors for the automatic cover, the pumps and the surrounding concrete. I think I want the salt water but would hate to have to spend a fortune fixing things always from the damage of the salt.
I would like a good size pool but not huge. I am looking at the medium sized ones. I guess it all depends on the cost on what the final size will be.
I also know I want it heated. Anything else I am missing

Hi Hezbarber
Welcome to TFP!

the best way to pick a pool builder (a.k.a. PB) / contractors or subs, is to talk to them and get references, then call the references to see what their thoughts are.
Many PB specialize in gunite, others in vinyl, and when it comes to fiberglass pools, they are a bit specialized. I would recommend to seek out a PB who has a LOT of experience with Fiberglass pools. I've read that VIking makes a good FG pool, but thats as much as I know about them. Hopefully others will come by who know more and comment.

Whatever cons you may have heard about salt pool is probably false. Most folks who have a negative experience likely didnt know how to properly take care of a pool, salt or not.
To add a note here. Never use iron or steel patio furniture with a salt pool. It will rust and leave ugly rust stains on your deck. Use aliminum or some of the polymer types of furniture thats available.
Saltwater generators are the next best thing to sliced bread, and a pool robot cleaner, no matter what type of pool they are installed on.

Bigger is better! Not much more to say. Go with as much as you can afford. You wont regret it. And as JohnT says, it doesnt cost more than pennies to maintain a larger pool.

As for pumping equipment.
Get a 2 speed pump. Your ears and light bill will love you for it.
Get a Timer to control the pump
As for filters, they all work great, and with proper water chemicstry and balancing, none of them really are that much better than the other. It all comes down to how much maintenance/ Cleaning you want to do. Generally speaking, bigger is better, because it means you dont have to clean them as often! :)

As for plumbing to/ from the pool. I personaly prefer individual pipe for each skimmer, drain and returns, to and from the pool, with a Valve at the equipment pad installed on each pipe. It will make a lot of things easier and more flexible should you decide to do "something" as the years go by.

welp,
that's about my .02 for the time being. Please ask more questions about stuff if you have any!

There is no risk from the salt to the pumps or concrete. There is a slight risk to the aluminum frame of the cover in the few areas where it is in direct contact with the water. You can prevent anything from happening there by adding a zinc anode connected to the bonding system and buried in some damp soil.