HTH Green to Blue

jeff75

Mar 22, 2015
San Tan Valley, AZ
I used HTH From Green to Blue two days ago. After using it, I noticed a label on the package that stated not use it with a cartridge filter. I have a cartridge filter. I now have clear water with the algae sitting at the bottom of the pool. What should I do?

Welcome!

My guess is you will need to SLAM you pool, but without valid test results I can't say for sure.

At the top of the page is a link for Pool School. You need to start reading and absorbing as much as possible.

We do not believe in magic potions like "Green to Blue", but in treating the pool with the specific thing it needs when it needs it. Generally that is liquid chlorine and acid.

I'm working off an iPad right now or I would give you links to specific articles. You should be looking for our recomended test kits (no pool store testing) and how to SLAM your pool.

It causes the algae to fall out and settle on the bottom so you can then vacuum to waste. Most cartridge filter systems don't have that as an option. What you can do is use your manual vacuum and hose to vacuum to waste using a siphon method. Here is some information on how that is done.

madwil said:
when I had a Intex, I used a standard vacuum head and hose, and set a syphon over the side instead of using the pump at all- as long as you don't mind watering the grass, and replacing water (same as vacuum to waste!)
fill hose with water- start at one end, attach to vacuum to weight/hold underwater.
push hose underwater along the length, so it fills entirely
when you reach the other end, water should bubble out of it
Hold both ends under water
grab the middle of the hose, throw it over the side so a loop is hanging lower than the water level in the pool
work back the length of the hose away from the vacuum head
throw the end on the ground where you want the water to drain
start to vacuum!
when done, lift vacuum out of water to break suction, and drain to other end so gunk doesn't come back into pool

You will lose water vacuuming to waste so you will need to top of the pool when you are finished.

You can also vacuum to waste by opening up the cartridge filter, taking out the cartridges, and vacuuming with the filter open. You will lose a lot of water quickly and it will make a huge mess.

If you have some old cartridges you can use those and vacuum as usual. They will gunk up quickly and may not catch all the algae, so you might have to vacuum a couple of times, hosing off the cartridges between vacuum sessions. You can try with your current cartridges but the HTH gunk may clog them up more than you can clean.

If much of the stuff currently on the bottom gets into the filter, it could easily destroy the cartridge.

One other option, if syphoning isn't an option, is to remove the cartridge and leave the top of the filter off while vacuuming. That lets you use the pool pump, but causes water to run out of the filter and all over the area. If you do this, make sure to clean out the filter housing throughly before putting everything back together.

Welcome to the forum Jeff :wave:

Unfortunately the best place for this stuff IMHO is on Walmarts shelf and not in a pool.
Hopefully they suggested some options you can use to suck that stuff up and get it out of your pool ;)
Hopefully you get a chance to read through some stuff in pool school and see how we recommend taking care of a pool so you don't find yourself in this kind of situation again.

Attachments

• IMG_20140620_164208.jpg
    IMG_20140620_164208.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 86

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.