Anchoring cover - concrete anchor vs ground pipe anchor

May 19, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
Hello everyone! Just finishing a pool remodel at my new house, you can see that thread here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75260-New-proud-owner-of-neglected-50-year-old-gunite-pool

I just put in new stamped concrete I don't love the idea of drilling into it. I talked to my pool refinisher and he said I could get pipe anchors and extension straps. About half would be need extensions (two sides are 5 feet and I think I could get away without the straps, but the other two sides are 8 feet and would need extensions). I like the idea of not drilling into the concrete and not having to worry about screwing the pins up and down, them getting stuck, etc.

I just ordered the 5' fencing that will be going around the concrete with self-closing gate and magna-lock latches. The cover that came with the pool has a couple small rips where it was probably dragged on the concrete by the previous owner, but for the most part is in good enough shape to keep out leaves/debris during the winter.

Does anyone see any issues with using the pipe anchors/strap extenders? Thanks for any info and/or personal experience.
Scott

It can be tricky to get pipe anchors stable enough to work well. They either need a substantial amount of underground concrete or to be structurally connected to the rest of the deck. All of that can be done easily enough, it is just more work than connecting directly to the deck. Still, if that is the look you would prefer, you can certainly go that way.

I am talking about pipes that are embedded in a substantial concrete footer that is well underground, so you only have the pipe and dirt for the top six inches, but lower down the pipe is embedded in concrete. I can't imagine pipes embedded in dirt working.

Yes, the amount of pull on the anchors is substantial. I suspect you would want 18" deep holes 12"x12" square with 14" deep concrete so you could still have grass/perennials above it. The hole should be square to make it harder for the pole/concrete to move, belled out at the bottoms greater than 12" and probably have zero issues. I'd much rather over engineer the poles that have to redo them which would be a disaster in my book.
Though I have anchors in concrete and no issues whatsoever. I vote for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got it done last week, not to bad, but did take about 6 hours to roll out the cover and drill 54 anchors. Thanks to everyone for the advice! Looking forward to a month or two when i can take it off! Will be putting an aluminum fence around the deck in a couple weeks.
1a3f715c1100109defcf48ab85c88053.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.