make a pool shallower

Mar 22, 2015
Plano TX
Any recommendations on contractors in North Dallas area making a pool shallower ? Our pool is 8feet deep on the deeper side so I want to make it 4feet high. Has anyone done this ? What a're your experiences ? What should I be looking at cost, just a ballpark ?
Thanks.

This can be done to plaster and vinyl lined pools, though it is a fair amount of work. Changing the depth of a fiberglass pool is more or less the same as building a new pool from scratch. Actual costs will vary dramatically depending on pool size etc, but very rough ballpark numbers are $6K for vinyl, and $20K for plaster. We have seen a couple of forum members who have done this, though it isn't exactly common.

I would go with a minimum of 5 ft. You really don't want to go any shallower than that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm guessing your pool is gunite/concrete, since most in this area seem to be. The process roughly would be to fill the deep end with concrete, but that's easier said than done. You would need to jack hammer into the existing pool shell to get down to the rebar, and tie in new rebar for the new concrete. Simply adding concrete inside the existing pool shell would certainly crack eventually, the whole shell needs to be one solid reinforced structure. You would also have to jack hammer out the current drain, and plumb in a new drain at the top of the new floor. It would probably require two drains in the new floor, in order to meet updated building codes, but that could simply be a tee fitting off the existing drain line. You would then need to replaster the entire pool for a seamless finish. Cost-wise I'm not sure how much, but you would be looking at many thousands of dollars, maybe even $10k or more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.