Aqualink set up/some pump questions

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
In order to ask my question about AQUALINK and my pumps, let me explain my setup. I have an inground Gunite pool, about 50 feet by 23 feet. The PB has gunited, but hasn't done the electric, plumbing, or coping and tile yet. The main Pool pump is a JANDY SVRS VS pump. I also have a Grotto,that will have a waterfall, and the pump for the Grotto is a SWF 185 GMP BP. The Grotto will have 6 jets and an airblower and the pump for the Grotto jets is SWF 125 BP. This pump will also run two LED JANDY Laminars that require 15 gpm each. I have a sunshelf that will have 2 LED Bubblers (Custom Molded Products is the brand) that require 30 gpm each and the main pool variable speed pump will run those. This set up was designed by my PB and I don't know if it is the optimal setup. I am relying on their expertise. I also will have a Polaris 280 w/ a 3/4 Booster Pump. My pool will have two LED lights on opposite sides of the 50 foot length, and will have a NICHELESS LED light inside the Grotto. I will have an Auto Pilot SWG (which I understand does not link up with the AQUALINK, and from what I have read here, that is not a big deal). Inside my Grotto I will have a 4 function remote that controls the Grotto light (I think it will, as indicated below, actually contol all lights), air blower, jets, and Grotto spillover. I will also have a JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU Heater(and may supplement it with a JANDY Heat Pump). I believe that the lights for the Bubblers (and I assume the Laminars) do not sync with the three pool lights.

I have paid for an 8 function AQUALINK with PDA (and plan to upgrade to the IAQUALINK). My PB has told me that my eight functions on the AQUALINK will be as follows: (i) Pump and heater, (ii) all lights (including the Laminars and Bubblers), (iii) Polaris 280, (iv) waterfall pump SWF 185, (v) Booster pump SWF 125, (vi) Laminars JVA, (vii) Bubblers JVA, and (viii) Air Blower for grotto jets.

According to my PB, this setup utilizes all the functions of the AQUALINK.

1. My first question is this true? Sometimes I read things that seem to imply that there are 8 functions in adidtion to a control for the heater and pump. So do I have one more function that I can control?

2. Does anyone see an issue with this setup?

3. I believe that I will always want the three pool lights to be on or off at the same time. But I have never had a pool and don't know if I would want the Laminars and Bubblers on all the time. However, I think that if I put the lights on and don't put the Bubblers and Laminars on, the fact that the lights for the Bubblers and Laminars will be on (when they are not being used) is not a big deal. The Laminars are going to be behind a rockwall, so I suspect I wont even notice that their light is on when the Laminars themselves are not on (but I'm guessing). Also, if the Bubblers are not on (and I suspect I will usually want them on), but their light is on, I guess the Sunshelf will have their two lights on but I don't think that would be problematic, but would appreciate other's opinions.

4. My PB said that eventhough the Bubblers and Laminars are wired together will the other three Poollights, I needed a separate function for the JVA for each. I'm not sure what a JVA is. But is that correct?

5. One of my functions is for the water fall pump. Will I be able to control whether it is on low, medium, or high?

5A. If all the lights are on one function, will I be able to put the pool lights on one color and the Bubblers and Laminars on another color?

6. My PB has told me that the Booster pump will run both the Laminars and the grotto jets. Anyone see an issue with that? Will both work well at the same time?

6A. Any issue with having the main Pool VS Pump run the Bubblers?

7. I'm not sure if when my PB said the 8th function will control the air blower he meant it would also control the jets. Does that seem like that is how it should work?

8. I am getting lights by the pool and it is currently planned that I will have an App on my IPHONE to work them. Thus, I don't necessarily need them to add themto the AQUALINK. I am also considering adding some lights (SAVI) in my Sun Shelf that would not linkup with my other lights. In that case I assume I would need another function on my AQUILINK to control them. And its always possible that some day down the road I will want to expand the AQUALINK. The question I have is whether it makes sense to get a larger AQUALINK system now. Will it be cheaper than if I want to expand in the future? My PB said that if I want a 12 function I would need a different unit - the RS-PS12. He said this requires a second board and AUX powercenter. In addition the PDA would not be available and I would need Aquapalm if I wanted a handheld (but that would not program anything). I'm not sure what he means by "I can't progarm it" Would I be able to choose what light colors I want or could I only turn the lights on and off with the AQUAPALM?

9. The cost to upgrade to the RS PS12 is $1700, which includes the AUX powercenter (no subpanel), second bezel board and its insatllation,prgramming and 4 additional relays. What does he mean "no Subpanel" The additional cost for IAQUALINK (which I definitely will do) is $750. If I want the AQUAPALM it is another $800. If I want the RS 16 it is another $700. Do these prices seem reasonable? Keep in mind that the PB will install the bezel boards into the two panels and program it, but the ELECRICAL HOOK-UP and INSTALLATION IS NOT INCLUDED!! (other than any electrical that would have been required for the 8 function AQUALINK I am scheduled to get). PB also suggests that I hardwire the AQUALINK directly to my router to avoid wirelesss issues.

I know these are a lot of detailed questions, but this forum has been excellent in providing insight in the past and I appreciate your time.

1) The heater doesn't count against the 8 relays, but the pump does.
2) That is a fairly large and complex setup. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is on the edge of maxing out the Aqualink, depending on choices like separate control of the lights or not.
3) Different people do this different ways. Some people really like separate control, but many are fine with a single combined control. Really a personal choice.
4) Debatable, there are other ways to do it. It kind of depends on how they are handling other aspects of the plumbing. There are other choices that could force this one, but it isn't inherent. A JVA is a Jandy Valve Actuator, which lets the Aqualink turn valves automatically.
5) No, the automation will be on/off only. You will probably get a separate manual switch to change speed.
5A) No, all will change together unless you split them to separate relays. Hopefully they will stay in sync.
6) That is unusual, though plausible.
6A) No problem. They don't need much flow.
7) The jets can run with or without extra air, so no the blower motor doesn't also turn the jets on/off. The jet pump control does that.
8) I'm not familiar with all of the details on the controllers and lights, but it is far far simpler to get the larger system up front, compared to trying to upgrade an already installed system.
9) That doesn't sound quite right. The prices are plausible, but electrical hookup not included doesn't make any sense. A sub-panel is a place to mount circuit breakers. Normally you mount all the circuit breakers in the main panel and get the aux box without a sub panel. For a complex system you sometimes run out of space in the main panel and need the second box to have a sub-panel to fit all the breakers.

At this level of complexity, you are more dependent on the builder knowing what they are doing. Large setups like this one get more complex to configure, and require knowledge of many more details and interactions. Hearing the builder say "ELECRICAL HOOK-UP and INSTALLATION IS NOT INCLUDED" really bothers me. He should be quoting a price for that, or saying you need to say exactly what you want, and then quote a price for it. If, as it sounds, he is disclaiming responsibility that worries me. This kind of setup is not going to be something that another person can just step up to and instantly know where and how to do their little part of the overall project without someone taking overall responsibility and keeping everything globally coordinated.

I haven't used a jandy/zodiac in a long time, but an intellitouch will to everything you need in one box.

Like this layout

Relays

1. pump relay
2. pool lights
3. bubbler lights
4. laminar lights.
5. Poss spa jets/ air
6. waterfall pump
7. Polaris 280

With an 19 +3 you would have 2 more aux circuits

You could set the lights up on 3 different relays for a color swim which can be pretty cool. ( each light changes colors differently).

Valves

Bubbler (software circuit)

laminar pump could be by itself. but use feature (software) circuits.

To answer #4. Laminars do best on their own pump. Most people want them precisely aimed (or close to it) If you add in the bubblers it's hard to keep the water flow close when the mode changes between laminar only and laminar + bubblers. If I were setting up this system I would have a valve operator on the pool pump for the bubblers, and the laminars on their own pump.

If there is a spa it confuses the issue further. You cannot use the main pool pump to run anything else if you want that feature to be usable in spa mode.

If cmp makes the bubblers I doubt the LEDS will sync. Pentair has all 3 products that do sync ( the newer laminars do). I think jandy controls will run pentair lights but you may want to confirm this.

"The additional cost for IAQUALINK (which I definitely will do) is $750."

My PB quoted something similar, which I though was ridiculous. I have a PDA-PS6 setup, and I emailed zodiac to ask about the iAqualink. The only part I/we need is the IQ20-A, which retails for $300. I looked at the install manual, and it look very very simple. My wife keeps asking me to install it, which someday I will.

I can't change to the Intellitouch because I have to take what the PB is offering. I also can't rely on my ability to hook up the Aqualink because it would be complicated for me (even if it's relatively easy).

But thanks for yor suggestions.

As a follow up, one pump will run both my Laminars and the Grotto jets. If I want to turn the Laminars on, the Grotto jets will automatically go on because otherwise there would be too much water going to the Laminars. In contrast if the Grotto Jets are on the Laminars can remain off and all he water will go to the jets. If I want I could have the PB give me a separate pump for the Laminars but am wondering whether that is necessary or suggested.

Thanks

A separate pump for the Laminars is definitely not necessary, though it might be nice, depending on how you imagine using the pool.There is a lot of flexibility to make the setup more complex, so you have individual control over everything, but that won't necessarily make this a better system. With more control you also get more complexity any time you want to adjust things. With this many choices possible, it is common to combine things to some extent, to group things into groups that don't really need to be independent, so as to simplify the control system.

Jason, my initial concern was that even though I anticipate that the grotto jets will not be used that much, I realized that with the Laminars on the grotto jets would be automatically on even though they weren't being used. Initially that bothered me. But as I think about it, having the grotto jets on when no one is using them is probably like having returns on (which are always on). So probably no need to have a separate pump. I suppose the grotto jets won't get as much water when the Laminars are on but I'm guessing it will be sufficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.