How early can I open my pool?

Mar 21, 2015
USA
I live in the suburbs of Illinois and currently we just had some of the best weather that I have seen around this time (70-60 degrees). Thanks to the weather I was able to drain all the melted snow and ice off my pool cover. I took a look inside the pool to make sure everything was looking good and there is still a big plate of ice near the center of the inside of the pool and the water surrounding it. Just getting my first pool last year in the fall I am really unexperianced at opening and this is my first time opening I wanted to ask some questions.

1. When would be the ideal time for me to open my pool? The last I checked my water temp is around the 30-40 degrees.

2. Since I cleaned off my winter cover should I remove it so the sun can melt the ice inside my pool?

3. Is there a kit that I need to purchase to help open my pool or will the regular pool maintenance work just fine?

Welcome to TFP! :cheers:

1. Now is a good time if you are sure you're past hard freeze temps.

2. Yes I would suggest that if you are going to open.

3. Get the TF100. It's the best there is, and they have true customer service with any sale. Click the link for it in my sig line.

Enjoy the forum!

Welcome to the forum! Good to have another Illinoisian join the group!

Do you have a heater? (Actually, could you put all of your equipment and pool specs in your signature.)

I'm in the Chicago area as well, and while we're probably out of the woods for a hard freeze, it's going to stay cold at night for a few weeks yet. I'd leave it closed a little longer. The earliest you'll probably swim is early May, and that's only if you heat it. If you're not using a heater, it'll be more like late May or early June. Best way is to get a thermometer in the water, and start opening up when the water temp gets to the high 50s.

Welcome to the forum! Good to have another Illinoisian join the group!

Do you have a heater? (Actually, could you put all of your equipment and pool specs in your signature.)

I'm in the Chicago area as well, and while we're probably out of the woods for a hard freeze, it's going to stay cold at night for a few weeks yet. I'd leave it closed a little longer. The earliest you'll probably swim is early May, and that's only if you heat it. If you're not using a heater, it'll be more like late May or early June. Best way is to get a thermometer in the water, and start opening up when the water temp gets to the high 50s.

No sadly I don't have a heater.

Sorry about that. When I have time I will update my sig with the spec. Also, thank you for the information, since there is a high chance of snow still dropping I will probably have to wait a while before I open.

No problem. If it helps, I opened up around mid-late April the last two years, and no one got in the water until the beginning of June.

That would be one more bit of advice I'd offer, especially for your first opening. Give yourself plenty of time to get the water balanced. Allow for three weeks between opening and swimming. That will give you plenty of time to get the water clear and balanced. It may (hopefully will) take less, but there's nothing worse than needing the pool ready by a certain date, and it not happening. Or worse, having to tell the kids "No, you can't swim yet" over and over when the weather/water temperature is gorgeous.

I'm in Iowa and REALLY want to open or start opening today. This weather has been so great and I thought if we could get the solar cover on now to start using that sunshine to warm the water maybe we could see some swimming in April! I think if we are mindful of these 25-35 degree nighttime temps we can still have and keep the pump running we should be ok.
I waited too long last spring and it took me a really long time to clean up my water. Don't want a repeat of that!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.