Going w/Liquid Chlorine Exclusively. Anyone Else w/Me?

asusundevil

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2014
Chandler, Arizona
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Last year I used a combination of liquid chlorine and an overuse of trichlor tablets. Not surprising to most in this community, my CYA was at 100 when I began preparing my pool for spring temperatures, resulting in having to drain half my pool. Current CYA is 55-60 and I'm happy to say I'm divorced from trichlor forever.

The question I have for those who have a similarly-sized pool located in the Southwest and use liquid chlorine exclusively is: What do you spend monthly on LC? I purchase a 10% concentration at a local pool store for $8.00, which is a box including two 1-gallon containers.

Sure, that's what all of us do here for the most part. You still need Cya in there too, though. If not, you'll lose all the FC you put in each day. I like most, add the Cya separately to keep strict control over that.

It's fine to use pucks in the beginning, or while you are away, just as long as you keep your Cya level under control.

I think you should figure about 80 Oz per day of 10% in your pool, depending on use. It may be off a little, as all pools are different in terms of sunlight exposure, use and Cya level. If that place doesn't move a lot of liquid, it may be a good bit weaker than 10% when you get it.

You'll just have to see how it goes, but this will get you close.

Everyone is going to spend a little differently for FC.
FC is measured in ppm, and how much chlorine you need to be at x ppm of FC directly related to the pool volume.

The Loss factors are
What is the CYA level
How much direct sun each day the pool gets
How many leaves and other organcis fall in the pool and how long does it stay there etc...

But generally, speaking, you can expect anywhere from 2 to 4 ppm loss each day.

If you really want to figure out your expected costs, you can use pool math and create a scenario where you need to add x amount liquid chlorine
and then use the Chlorine Price calculator to figure out the cost of x ppm.

http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

I've been using nothing but liquid for the past few years. The regular stuff here is 10.5% and comes in 2.5 gallon refillable jugs that cost about $4 each to refill. I normally tear through one a week or more if there is heavy rain or usage.

The TFPC method is not always about the cheapest way (although liquid FC is normally the cheapest source) but rather teaches you to make your decision based on a variety of factors and then knowing what to do about the best way to proceed.

Your FC price sounds a bit high but you will likely find cheaper. Importantly, you will always have the great feeling of managing and controlling your pool rather than the other way around.

Looking at Pool Math there is a recommended range of 30-80, which is large. I'm at 55. How does one determine the sweet spot for CYA?

And what type of stabilizer is best? There are so many on the market nowadays. And I'm now petrified to use trichlor pucks.

I'm with ya.

I buy 12.5% at my local pool store and pay $14 for 4 gallons around once a week.

DYgUtRM.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last year I used a combination of liquid chlorine and an overuse of trichlor tablets. Not surprising to most in this community, my CYA was at 100 when I began preparing my pool for spring temperatures, resulting in having to drain half my pool. Current CYA is 55-60 and I'm happy to say I'm divorced from trichlor forever.

The question I have for those who have a similarly-sized pool located in the Southwest and use liquid chlorine exclusively is: What do you spend monthly on LC? I purchase a 10% concentration at a local pool store for $8.00, which is a box including two 1-gallon containers.

From one newbie to another....

If the pool store chlorine is actually 10% not 12.5% for $8, then you are better off getting it elsewhere.

I get mine from Lowes usually.

I checked the Chandler AZ lowes and they sell it for $6.86. 2 gal box of 10%

*** If you snoop around online you can find a 10% off coupon code for lowes. Then order it for pickup.

Make sure you check the dates. Sometimes they pull out an old pallet of the stuff.

90ppm is excessive. I would ignore that.

Is the $19.26 the refill price or the initial price to get the jugs? That seems a little high if it is the refill price ... Lowe's might be cheaper according to the calculator: http://poncatechsquad.com/dan/chlorine/

I just called back to confirm the Hasa Chlorine.

Refill price $19.26 for 4 gals
Deposit on each 1 gal bottle is $0.5
Deposit on the carrying case is $2.00

Looks like Lowes is still better since they honor my 10% Veterans discount every time I go in.

Me too, I regularly get buy the HASA 12.5% from my pool store for $17.99 here in Texas. Buying the first case was $2 more (deposit).

I am also a liquid chlorine user ever since we moved into our house. Previous owners had used trichlor/dichlor and cal-hypo. The CYA level was 140 and the CH was 700. Drained 16,000 gallons, refilled, and the water has great since then. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.