Pool, Spa & Kitchen Build - Houston, Texas Excavation Date 3-23-15

ErikU19

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hey all,

Finally got a excavation date of 3/23. Gunite is set for 3/25 - Going to be a busy week!

Pool Info

POOL
POOL SIZE: 15’ X 49’
PERIMETER: 144 LN.FT.
AREA: 773 SQ.FT.
BENCH : 2
STEPS : 2
DEPTH : 3 ½’ – 6 – 3 ½’
TILE : 2” X 2” Frost Proof Decorative Tile. Tile markers on steps and benches.
COPING : 1’ of TRAVERTINE AROUND ENTIRE POOL
PLASTER : PEBBLE TEC/PEBBLE SHEE – TIER # 1
DECK : 1000 SQ.FT. OF TRAVERTINE TILE (CEMENT BASE), VERSAILLE PATTERN, WITH ALL DRAINAGE

STRUCTURE INFORMATION
LIFETIME GUNITE SHELL WARRANTY THAT IS TRANSFERABLE TO FUTURE OWNER.
STEEL REINFORCEMENT: 12”x18” Bond Beam – 4 Bars #4 (1/2”) continuous. Walls and Floor - #3(3/8”) 8” on center.
GUNITE : Walls and Floor minimum 9” thick. Gunite Bond Beam 12” x 18”
PLUMBING : 40 LN.FT. Heavy wall Schedule 40 PVC pipe size 2” for all out lines and 1 ½” in return lines. Gas Line connection if required.
SKIMMERS: 2
RETURNS: 10
MAIN DRAINS: 2

POOL EQUIPMENT
FILTER: 525SF CARTRIDGE
CHLORINATOR : YES – INLINE
OZONATOR : ULTRAPURE
PUMP : ECOSTAR-VARIABLE
POOL LIGHT : 2 COLORLOGIC (LED)
CLEANER : POOL VAC ULTRA

SPA
SIZE :TRIANGLE SPA 12’ X 8 ½’ – RAISED 18” – 13 FT. LONG SPILLWAY – ALL EXTERIOR COVERED WITH FLAGSTONE LEDGESTONE.
SPA PLUMBING
JETS : 8 (4 ARE ROTATING)
MAIN DRAINS : 2
RETURNS : 8
SPA EQUIPMENT
HEATER : 400,000 BTU’S
BLOWER : 2 HP
SPA LIGHT : 1 COLORLOGIC

CONTROL SYSTEM : PROLOGIC PS-8 + AQUACONNECT REMOTE POOL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM + AQUAPOD REMOTE CONTROL

TANNING SHELF : 12’ X 8’ INCLUDES 1 LED BUBBLER IN SHELF+ 3 LED BUBBLERS ON BENCHES

RAISED WALLS : 24 FT. LONG 18” RAISED + 27 FT. LONG 12” RAISED. FRONT COVERED WITH LEDGESTONE. INCLUDES 4 – 48” SHEER DESCENTS + 1 HP TRISTAR PUMP.

OUTDOOR KITCHEN & BATHROOM:

SIZE : 581SQ.FT. (25 ½’ X 29 ½’)
HEIGHT : 10’ HIGH – CEILING 9’ HIGH
BUILT TO HURRICANE CODE STEEL CORNER BRACKETS / HURRICANE CLIPS /BEAMS STRAPPED AND BOLTED TO SUPPORT COLUMNS.
FRAMING FRAMING ON 16” CENTERS / ½” LAG BOLTS IN LEDGER – ZIG ZAG PATTERN / NOTCHED BEAM TO SUPPORT POSTS / DOUBLE STACKED 2” LUMBER FOR 2" x 6" CEILING JOISTS AND RAFTERS / PITCH 7/12.
ROOFING MATERIALS HIGHEST QUALITY 30 YEAR SHINGLES / 30 LB FELT PAPER / GALVANIZED ROOFING NAILS / GALVANIZED DRIP EDGE / 1/2” OSB ROOF SHEATHING OR 5/8” T&G FOR OPEN RAFTER UNITS

Pool1.jpg

Layout1.jpg

It's been wet here as well. First streak of dry weather and she lined up excavation and gunite. Hopefully it stays that way.

I'm setting up some cameras for a time lapse of the build. I'll be sure to take lots of pics as it helped me watching others with my build/selections.

If I were doing it all over again, I'd ask for steps with no more than an 8-inch riser. My pool has 12-inch risers, which are very steep. I can't imagine small children or seniors easily navigating the steps. I'd also ask for a step in the spa, as the distance from the coping to the bench in the spa is especially steep... Relatively minor changes but it keeps the pool easily accessible, a consideration for resale and guests.

Recommend 2.5" pipes to/from the pool, and use as many direct/independent runs as possible, especially for features like bubblers and sheers. Two drains in the spa should each come back to the equipment pad independently, allowing future options for two different pumps. Spa jets should be plumbed in a loop. With eight jets, you may want to consider 2.5" plumbing to support high flow rates for the jets. Pool returns should be plumbed in a loop. I found my spa was setup correctly in a loop (and second loop above that for the blower), but the pool was done open, like a horseshoe, not a loop, which tends to send the water back with uneven flows at the far ports versus the near ports.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Pool, Spa & Kitchen Build - Houston, Texas Excavation Date 3-23-15

Sorry. I've been slacking with pictures! I usually take a million - but have been swamped with work.

RebarPool.jpg

RebarPool2.jpg

rebarpool3.jpg

RebarSpa.jpg

Gunite2.jpg

Gunite.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be sure to capture plenty of plumbing pics (tomorrow).

So far the builder has been great. Really impressed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.