Need help selecting a solar controller.

Apr 9, 2013
Hey guys, we installed a single fafco solar panel on a rack in the backyard last year and would now like to add a solar controller to turn it on/off based on temperature. I was looking at the pentair sun touch, is this our best option? Seems to be a lot of options. We have simple agp setup, nothing fancy. Can someone please link me to what I would need to install this? Thanks!

I have the Pentair Solartouch and it works great. It monitors water temp and panel temp and when solar heat is available it opens the valve and turns up the pump speed on my Pentair VS pump. I don't know how or if it would work with the Hayward 2 speed pump. But, it will definitely open the valve when it is hot.

sunplay.com has them for 260 bucks.

There is also the Hayward GL-235, a solid unit that is about as simple as they come. It should be just slightly less expensive than then SolarTouch. The main difference is it doesn't understand variable speed pumps.

I went ahead and got the Pentair, $249, free shipping. Anyone know if there's a DIY guide anywhere for the install? The manual is 80+ pages and covers a lot of stuff we don't have.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.