Aug 27, 2008
With our new inground gunite pool we got the little Pentaire test kit from the PB. Im sure its the cheapest one possible. Small blue plastic box with little bottles of testing stuff. I do the chlorine test and acid test daily and the colors seem to be close to the normal indicators on the plastic testing jar thingy.

I have been reading about other test kits. Is this kit not very good and what exactly do you need?
We have a 15k gallon SWG pool.

The TF-100 and the K-2006 can test chlorine up to 50ppm, combined chlorine, CYA several times, Calcium Hardness, Total Alkalinity and pH. You can also add the strips to test salt.

With a gunite pool, CH is critical. Combined chlorine is an indicator of water problems, and can be very useful. It's also very useful to be able to test high chlorine levels when trying to deal with algae. The better kits will pay for themselves in the first season.

I have the little pentair tester you are talking about. It's not worthless; it's good for a quick chlorine / Ph check, but only if your chlorine is below 3 ppm. Not only does the chlorine test not go higher than that, but a chlorine level higher than that also throws the Ph reading off, too. You definitely need a good test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.