SuperFlo VS 115/230V wire

Mar 19, 2015
Seffner
I purchesed the 342001 Pentair SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump - 115/230v. I am trying to connect it to 115V. I know the pumps that can run on 115v or 230v usually have voltage switch but my pump did not have one. I am not sure if it may be auto-sensing.? . I have tree cables black, red and green. I know the green is ground but I am not sure how to if I should connect the red to L1 or L2. Can you please help me.

The manual will have a diagram showing how to wire or jumper for 115 or 230. It will not be auto sensing. You have a red and a green? For 115 you should have black, white and green. For 230 you should have black, red and green.

Wiring a pump for 230 would be green to ground, black to L1 and red to L2. I do not know how it would be wired for 115.

I am fairly sure the SuperFlo VS is 230 volts only. To double check, there should be a small metal plate on the motor listing the required voltage.

Black, red, and green wires are usually 230 volts, not 115 (which is black, white, and green), though that can vary.

I have a couple of questions and concerns.

First and forememost, what was the voltage of your old pump?

1. You mention the wires you have available are red, black, and green. That is generally for 230V. (115v color code is black, white and green) which leads me to belive the old pump is 230.
2. Was your old pump 115? If not, why do you want it to run on 115V?

3. The Amperage draw at 115V is double that of 240V. So that means the power wire AWG minimum (size) to the motor for 115v MUST be lager than for the minimum size 240V so it will handle the higher current. Otherwise its a safety hazard. The wire could overheat, melt, or start a fire.
4. What is the wire size AWG that you are connecting to the pump?
4. If your old pump was 230, and you do go with 115V, then you will also have to change the breaker in your breaker box from a double pole to a single pole breaker and properly sized for the amperage of the motor at 115V.

Having said all of this, I will look at the pump manual and see what it says about the wiring up of it. I will be back after looking at it.

IM BACK.

According to the manual, the motor has self sensing voltage. So there is no change to be made in the motor terminal box. See the 2nd paragraph on page 7, Wiring Overview and Installation.

Let me strongly recommend though, that if your old pump was 230, then there is no reason to change it to 115.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/SuperFloVS1.5OM.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Jason,
I looked it up. There is indeed a dual voltage pump, model 342001.

342000 is 230 only.

The manual will have a diagram showing how to wire or jumper for 115 or 230. It will not be auto sensing. You have a red and a green? For 115 you should have black, white and green. For 230 you should have black, red and green.

Wiring a pump for 230 would be green to ground, black to L1 and red to L2. I do not know how it would be wired for 115.

I looked it up. There is indeed a dual voltage pump, model 342001. 342000 is 230 only.
Indeed, I see that now. The 342001 is new, and replaces the 342000. Their web site is inconsistent, saying 110 to 250 in one place, and 208-240 in another place.

The online manual is out of date, and says 230 only.

The advertising copy seems to say auto sensing.

Wiring instructions are rarely in the manual. They are almost always on a metal plate on the side of the motor.

I was curious and looked up the manual for the 342001. It is indeed a brand new VSpump that operates on 110 or 220. It automatically regulates amperage to 13.2 amps no matter the voltage. Pretty cool and interesting!

To wire for 110v you connect hot to L1 and neutral to L2 and green to ground. OR for 220v you connect as normal, black to L1, red to L2 and green to ground. It will figure it out and operate accordingly. How about that?

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/SuperFloVS1.5OM.pdf

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/pumps-inground-superflo-vs-variable-speed-pump-464.htm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.