MultiCyclone Centrifugal Filter

Jun 9, 2008
Oshkosh/WI
I am in the process of replacing all my pool/spa equipment and would love to add something like this.
My pool gets ALOT of leaves and small pine needles that fill my pump strainer basket in seconds when I have to vacuum. Tons of leaves (especially during spring opening) and **** causes the basket to fill and I have to run into the house and down into the basement to switch off the pump and then empty the pump basket. This dance is sometimes repeated 5-10 times for a messy vaccum session. Is it feasible to put something like a Multicyclone 12 or 16 BEFORE the pump? All their literature shows the unit to be installed between the pump and the main filter.

It appears to have as much if not more head loss than a filter. Adding a lot of head loss to the suction side can create a lot problems such as air leaks and even cavitation. I suspect that it would not work very well on the suction side and I would avoid using it on the pressure side too.

We have TONS of trees that drop LOTS of stuff spring and fall also. And we have a Pentair VS pump. We run our pump on 1100rpm 24x7 with the skimmer/drain valve set to about 75% skimmer and 25% drain so that when skimmers get jammed FULL the pump still gets water. This works amazingly well and the skimmers often fill themselves up to the lid, above the water line, no idea how this happens but it is handy. Then we empty the two skimmer baskets as many times as we can all day and night. This keeps a lot of it off the pool bottom which takes a load off the pool sweep. Then we net out the leaves and junk when we get behind. Never tried or had a vacuum, but I can imagine your frustration with it filling up instantly. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.