New Fr. Gray install, problem?

Geeez, this ****'s got me tossing and turning all night. Should I allow them to try an acid wash? I've read a lot of varied info on this site, and others. Some say it's just for scale buildup, not initial discoloration. Will sanding do anything? I've read that allowing them to do an acid wash can make it harder to prove they botched the plaster. Also, that the acid can simply make it worse, or further damage the finish.

Acid wash, or an Acid (hot) startup is what they may suggest, and your mileage will vary on how good that comes out. I don't like a hot startup, and not a huge fan of acid washing the finish, but it is done all the time.

Part of what you have is a colored plaster job, and they are always more prone to streaking/mottling. Sorry again, but yours is beyond the norm of the "bad looking" ones we normally see. You won't get them to sand it, but I'm not sure that would help too much anyway. For that to be done... it simply takes way too much time. And no, you can't just put on a new layer. You'd have a cold joint between the two and never bond properly.

The above posts...jbiggoose's install (especially) and finest finish as mentioned by bmoreswim should not be compared to yours. They are premixed colors and that is not the same thing at all. Tinted Marcite/colored plaster (same thing) are always harder to get even. That's just an unfortunate downside to that method/product.

So where are you right now with this? You were filling up correct?

There appears to be a definite problem with the plaster color and finish.

Please post some pictures after the pool is full of water. Please let us know how much (white) plaster dust forms on the bottom of the pool.

Do you know if the installer performed an acid wash on the plaster before the fill water was started?

ok, thanks everybody, here are some new pics. The fill is going very slow, my water pressure must suck. The contractor came by last night to check on it, and told me to hose down the sides a couple times a day. It has been filling for about 48 hours and it is at this level. An acid wash was not done before the fill, but it has been mentioned as a possible option by the contractor. He has been pushing that this is normal mottling. There does seem to be a good amount of white dust, especially in the shallow end.

i can't get any photos to load. the site says ive exceeded my quota, even when i shrink it down to the size of a few bytes. any ideas on where/how i can post images?

Yes, go to photobucket, create a free account and load you images into an album there. Once done, copy and paste the IMG link in the post body here where you type. It will show right up, and there is no limit on those photos in the forum.

I love your pool, tile, coping and the plaster. It is going to look awesome once you clear up that tap-water green. Isn't it amazing how green our tap water is? Our pool was the same way. Can't wait to see it.

I think there are some positives to this plaster job. You won't notice dirt buildup nearly as much, and you won't have to obsess over imperfections (since it's all imperfect). :) As the owner of a pool with "perfect" white plaster, every tiny speck of dirt, stain, etc is very visible.

I also think your water color will look really good when it's balanced and crystal clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like the tile and coping. I'm even cool with the excessive mottling. The thing I don't like is the one long wall that has obvious trowel marks and those "crack" looking marks when its wet. Its really the one wall that's my main problem, and the excessive whitening in the shallow end. I'll post more pics when its totally done. I've given the builder the benefit of the doubt, and paid for all other work other than the balance on the plaster and color. I have taken the high road with everything, hoping the plaster works out, too. I'd still like to know for sure if this job is botched before I deliver full payment, because the one long wall, that is the main vantage, looks pretty terrible. All expert advice is and has been appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll post some before and afters of the pool and backyard when its up and running, as well.

I like the tile and coping. I'm even cool with the excessive mottling. The thing I don't like is the one long wall that has obvious trowel marks and those "crack" looking marks when its wet. Its really the one wall that's my main problem, and the excessive whitening in the shallow end. I'll post more pics when its totally done. I've given the builder the benefit of the doubt, and paid for all other work other than the balance on the plaster and color. I have taken the high road with everything, hoping the plaster works out, too. I'd still like to know for sure if this job is botched before I deliver full payment, because the one long wall, that is the main vantage, looks pretty terrible. All expert advice is and has been appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll post some before and afters of the pool and backyard when its up and running, as well.

Payment is up to you, but I think we tried to answer as best we could on the "botch". I wouldn't be entirely satisfied as I said before. If you can live with it, then you'll have to pay him. If you are 80% satisfied, you'll have to figure out how to negotiate paying him what you think it was worth. Personally, I do not think it's up to the normal standard of appearance. I think it will get a little better over time, but that cracked looking part, and trowel marked part will never completely go away IMO.

It's not just the look I'm worried about. Will a substandard install effect the durability and longevity of the plaster? Will an acid wash help, or will it cause more problems? Are there any plaster experts that can give some real information? Opinions from enthusiasts, though appreciated, doesn't really help my situation.

It's not just the look I'm worried about. Will a substandard install effect the durability and longevity of the plaster? Will an acid wash help, or will it cause more problems? Are there any plaster experts that can give some real information? Opinions from enthusiasts, though appreciated, doesn't really help my situation.

We have one expert who's answered, and maybe he will come back for another look. I emailed him to come help you because I sympathized with your problem and felt bad for you. I have an opinion on your last question, but since it appears worthless to you, I'll keep it to myself.

Good luck to ya.

Are there any plaster experts that can give some real information? Opinions from enthusiasts, though appreciated, doesn't really help my situation.
Have you tried the National Plasterer's Council? Or a professional plasterer?

When you ask a forum of "enthusiasts", you will most always get an enthusiast's answer

Let's understand that there is no immediate emergency and solution with the pool plaster right now. What's done is done, and the plaster needs to cure for at least two weeks before doing anything. I suggest waiting and see just what is the end result is after the water clears, the plaster hardens and cures, and the plaster dust is removed.

The questions are: what is the PB (or plasterer) willing to do to rectify a bad job - an acid wash or a re-plaster? And what is the pool owner willing to accept - an acid wash that shortens the life of the finish somewhat, or a re-plaster by a more competent plasterer? At the very least, an acid wash will probably be needed some time. Of course, I prefer to avoid acid washes if possible.

Nola, it is up to you to decide if you like the white mottling of a dark color plaster finish or not, and the other apparent undesirable features that you have mentioned. I think holding back the money for plastering should help you get some sort of resolution in time. If the visible cracking does not disappear, then you might want to take a strong stance with the PB.

Nola, there's your expert advice. I think it's the best you can get for any amount of money, but that's just my enthusiast opinion.

Thanks for posting back onbalance. Your time is much appreciated here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.