Electrical conduit and receptacle height

Jun 29, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I won't bore you with the details of why I need to do this, but here is the question:

Is there a minimum height that PVC conduit needs to be mounted above ground?

Same question for a junction box. The (waterproof box/cover) box will receive PVC conduit and then from the box it will be waterproof flex to the pool and spa motors.

I'm in California, if that matters.

TIA

Jack

Is it coming out of the ground? Pvc is not the best idea when exposed to the sun. In my application I use pvc underground and transition to a rigid 90 with a rigid nipple into the box. Wrapped in 10 mil tape to avoid corrosion. Pvc tends to break if banged or kicked accidentally.
Height minimum of 12" but I would recommend 24" if it's near water.
18" is standard height for a receptacle. All measurements are to center of box.
Maximum length for seal tight flex is 6'.

CPVC electrical conduit is the correct type that is used in almost every pool build I have been involved with. No need to wrap anything if you use the correct product for the job. However, you need to follow your local and state codes.

dumbcluck are you saying that the CPVC conduit must be run at a minimum height of 12"? Are you also saying that a junction box can't be mounted below 12" from the ground? Do you by any chance know what code covers that?

I am confused how there could be a minimum height for the CPVC since we know it is OK to be in the ground and come out of the ground, hence completely contrary to a minimum height rule.

You don't want a jbox low enough to get water in it. Receptacle height is 12" minimum for ADA 18" is pretty standard to center.
Are you talking about running pvc horizontally on the wall? If so it does not need to be 12". Again I do not recommend using it much once it comes out of the ground. It is not illegal or anything just not the best application for long term use. Yes most pool builders use it for everything but that is because it is cheaper and easier to install. Any real electrician will tell you the same.
We wrap rigid pipe to protect it only underground. This is the proper way to run pipe. It doesn't mean you have too.
I have been a union electrician for more than 25 years. we tend to over do things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.