Poolside sound

Mar 17, 2015
Knoxville, TN
I just got my pool installed in September, as part of my spring prep I installed a wired outdoor speaker system. Thought I would share what I did and see what others have done.

My system consists of the following:

4 x Polk Audio Atrium 4
2 x TIC GS3 360 in ground speakers
Yamaha RX-V577 (7.2 surround system)

I went with the Yamaha receiver for three reasons, 1.) it is 7.2 with a 7 channel stereo option. This allows me to drive all six speakers on their own output from the receiver. 2.) It is airplay compatible so I can airplay my extensive iTunes collection to the receiver for outdoor enjoyment. 3.) it has a companion app which allows me to control inputs and volume from my phone, no going inside to mess with it.

I ran the cables from laundry room out behind my vinyl siding to the four speakers mounted to the house. The two TIC speakers are run behind the sing down behind my gutter and under ground to the two far corners of the pool.

It's a lot of speakers but with all the speakers I should be able to keep the volume to a level that won't totally mess with the neighbors and still allow us to hear it in the pool.

In the future I want too add an outdoor projector, blow up screen and some other goodies that will let me do movies outside.

What do the rest of you do / have for poolside sound?

We have a pool house. We have a stereo set up inside the pool house. We just open up the sliding door and let the music flow!

Thankfully we live on 6.5 acres and our house is at the bottom of our property and my neighbor's house is at the front so.........They say they cannot hear it inside their house.

We are VERY careful to not let it go late into the night just in case they want their windows open though.

Kim

I know this may be a bit confusing because I cut and pasted from a Adobe file. This is the set-up I installed.

1 C4-SR250RSK-B SR-250 Remote and Recharging Station EA $300.00 $300.00
C4-HC250-BL-1 HC-250 Controller with MyHome and EA
Intercom Licenses
1 $750.00 $750.00
1 C4-16AMP3-B MULTI CHANNEL AMPLIFIER- V3 EA $2,495.00 $2,495.00
Customize the audio signal to match the speakers and listening preferences for each individual zone./Control multiple zones
as a single zone with Control4 Media Scenes
1 C4-TUN2-E-B Multi-Tuner EA $599.99 $599.99
1 C4-XMOD XM Module for Multi-Tuner EA $199.00 $199.00
AWR-650-G 2 WAY ROCK ALL WEATHER SPEAKERS EA
WOOFER AND TWO TWEETERS
12 $299.99 $3,599.88
AW-650-W 6.5" IMG Woofer 1" Titanium Tractix PR
Horn Loaded Tweeter (white)
1 $549.99 $549.99
SB-5510HD-BL 55" Outdoor TV Pro Series 1080p Full EA
HD, 120 Hz (black)
1 $5,595.00 $5,595.00
1 WM46 Sunbrite 46"/55" Articulating Mount EA $465.00 $465.00
ENS202EXT 2.4GHz Wireless N300 access point EA
supports 802.11b/g/n devices with
speeds up to 300 Mbps.
1 $149.99 $149.99
WCS10-R-EXT-ZP Wireless Contact Relay (External EA
Antenna) - Zigbee PRO
1 $179.99 $179.99
B-500-EXT-230-RS Single CAT5e/6 HDBaseT Extender EA
(230 ft.), Bi-directional IR, RS 232, and
POC
1 $599.99 $599.99
B3-AUD-2 BINARY CABLE B3-SERIES ANALOG EA
AUDIO 2 METER
3 $9.99 $29.97
B6-HD-1 High Speed Licensed HDMI Cable with EA
Ethernet 1 Meter
3 $25.95 $77.85
1 GSD-802PS Planet 8 Port Gigabit POE EA $279.99 $279.99
1 PATCH-CAT6-2FT-BLK Cat 6 2ft Ethernet Patch Cable (Black) EA $4.99 $4.99
1 SR-WM-10U Strong™ 10U Wall Mount Rack EA $299.95 $299.95
SR-WM-SWING-10U- EA
3IN
StrongT 10U Wall Mount Rack Swing
Kit
1 $159.95 $159.95
EP-400-UPS-8PS-825 Episode 8 Outlet Stand Alone AVR UPS EA
with RJ45/RJ11 &RG6
1 $259.99 $259.99
NST-CAT6-1000-BLU Cables Cat 6 550MHz Unshielded 23/4 EA
.58mm CMG-Rated Wire - 1000ft Nest
in Box (Blue)
500 $0.25 $125.00
200 CAT6-SH Category 6 Shielded Cable FT $0.50 $100.00
quote.rpt Printed: 9/2/2013 9:27:07AM Page
1 $1,499.99 $1,499.99
1 EA-AMP-SUB-1D-500 Episode Digital Subwoofer Amplifier EA $999.00 $999.00
SP-164-DB Binary Cable 16 Gauge 4- Conductor FT
Direct Buriel
100 $0.50 $50.00
3.00 INSTALLATION TEAM installation w/ team of techs HR $99.99 $299.97
Two Technicians
Item

- - - Updated - - -

Also this sub woofer that gets buried in the ground

UOM Sell Total
ES-LS-BSUB-12 Episode® Landscape Series Burial EA
Subwoofer with 12 in. Woofer (Copper
Dome | Each)

SONOS

Inside and out, it will change music as you know it.

We use play3s outside because we have covered areas for them. If not get the amp and wire up outdoor speakers. Anyone with any device can play any music anywhere. It is beyond easy and adaptable. We also have our directv connected to the playbar so we can play the game everywhere. The only thing it isn't is cheap.

Not a dadgum thing wrong with that setup Havlc2u.

- - - Updated - - -

pooldv---------what speed is your wireless network with those? They tell me my "G" ain't gonna cut it. Really haven't looked into it much though.

Martin that is one crazy system! Subwoofer buried in the ground? Wow. :bowdown:

We just have 2 sonos play ones we can move outside, I can access my extensive music library,volume and EQ from my phone or tablet. I'm sold on Sonos.

- - - Updated - - -

SONOS

Inside and out, it will change music as you know it.

We use play3s outside because we have covered areas for them. If not get the amp and wire up outdoor speakers. Anyone with any device can play any music anywhere. It is beyond easy and adaptable. We also have our directv connected to the playbar so we can play the game everywhere. The only thing it isn't is cheap.

I'm saving up for the play bar! We have two play ones and love them!

Not a dadgum thing wrong with that setup Havlc2u.

- - - Updated - - -

pooldv---------what speed is your wireless network with those? They tell me my "G" ain't gonna cut it. Really haven't looked into it much though.

No doubt that there is nothing wrong with any set up as long as you can hear the tunes!

I do not know what speed my router is. It is the router provided by AT&T with my Uverse 18mb internet. We bought the BOOST and connected it directly to the router via ethernet to help with range and speed. It has worked flawlessly 100% of the time, no buffering or issues ever that I have noticed, streaming from Pandora, Slacker, Googleplay, Jango, etc.

From Sonos website:
Sonos communicates over a 2.4GHz home network supporting 802.11b/g wireless technology.

- - - Updated - - -

Martin that is one crazy system! Subwoofer buried in the ground? Wow. :bowdown:

We just have 2 sonos play ones we can move outside, I can access my extensive music library,volume and EQ from my phone or tablet. I'm sold on Sonos.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm saving up for the play bar! We have two play ones and love them!

Definitely have to save up for those little beauties, not cheap. Then you will NEED the subwoofer, also not cheap. My wife is like, hey we need a one here, a three here, another one here ... killin me! They are portable you know, no wiring required! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a Sonos whole house system with one amp for outside wired to Bose outdoor speakers. We really like the Sonos system and can control everything from our iphone's. I think we have over 5000 albums uploaded but also use Pandora a lot which is connected to the system.

We have a pergola that is on a raised area next to the pool/spa. I mounted a pair of Polk Atrium 8 outdoor speakers on the 2 posts of the pergola facing toward the pool/spa. I built a weatherproof cabinet and put an Onkyo network enabled receiver in it. It connects wirelessly to my home network so I have access to about 300 Gb of music on one of my home network servers. I control the receiver with my Android phone. Nothing fancy, but those Polk speakers can rock. :rockon: We live on 2 acres so I really have to crank up the sound for the neighbors to hear it. ;)

I am just in the planning stages - looks like I will be doing a simple setup. I decided not to wire back to the house, but have a dedicated setup just for the pool.

So far the plan is to have a double gang water proof pvc box on one pergola post. In the box will be an electrical outlet and next to it this cool Bluetooth and AUX input amplifier.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-14825

Then anyone with a phone or tablet can send music to two speakers hung on the pergola. Right now I am planning on using the Polk Audio Atrium 4 speakers. When we want TV outside I am planning on running a Roku Stick with the TV for streaming, SlingTV and connection to our computer media library. We have a WiFi Router mounted facing the pool so we will have great coverage to connect to the Roku. I am also thinking of putting a small HDTV antenna on the top of the pergola to get broadcast stations for football TV pool parties this fall.

I am just finishing up my install now. My garage/pool house is adjacent to the pool. I installed a window in the garage wall and this is where the TV and an old yamaha HTR-5930 receiver sit. The tv is in lower half, receiver right at top, remote hits it good. I have two cambridge soundworks speakers under the eaves of my 1940's garage and will be installing wired Insignia Rock Speakers that are on sale at Best Buy in the opposite corners of pool. I also have the Logitech Bluetooth adapter plugged into receiver to pair iphones and such. I think the additional Rock speakers will help. The question now is do I set them up as the "rear speakers" or as speakers "B"?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.