Removing water from the pool cover

Apr 4, 2010
Hello to all the season is fast approaching,this year I got a cover for my above ground now I have gotten all the leaves out of it but it has probably hundreds of gallons of water on it.
I bought an electric pump and have the intention of removing the water and tightening up the tarp for removal.I turned the pump on had a little triangle pad on the end of the hose water is being evacuated and I try to reposition the hose and it is stuck to the bottom,I got it loose and turned up right just sucking water now I hope from the tarp and not the pool also.Is it possible to do this and not take water from the pool Now I'm not sure my idea was a sound one :O(

It's a balancing act. I have a similar situation every year. My strategy has been to siphon as much water off the cover as I can. If it looks like I'm starting to drain the pool (because no pool cover is perfectly solid), I just give up, and the rest of the water on the cover is gonna go in the pool.

It's a balancing act. I have a similar situation every year. My strategy has been to siphon as much water off the cover as I can. If it looks like I'm starting to drain the pool (because no pool cover is perfectly solid), I just give up, and the rest of the water on the cover is gonna go in the pool.

Thank you I think next fall I will place many inflatables under the cover I wanted three big truck tire inner tubes ,but most are tubeless now or some sort of frame to span the twenty feet that wouldn't sag

I get as much water off as I possibly can And pull the cover to one side of the pool and carefully keep it from dumping in the pool. I the get my bucket and fill it and dump it til I can get enough water off the cover that I can pull the cover completely over the rail and off the pool. There is absolutely no sense in covering my pool just to dump the cover water into it.

Agreed Update pump was going all afternoon and as expected skimmer has little water in it I shut the pump for the filter off .I usually run pump 24/7 in winter to keep from freezing don't think there is anymore danger of a hard freeze---This fall I will find large tubes to limit contact

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.