PH reduced but TA did not

prasadkm0204

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2015
Santa Clara,CA
My TA was at 160ppm and PH at 7.8 (slightly above 7.8).
I added 32 oz Muriatic acid and checked in the morning after running pump overnight.

PH has reduced to 7.6 or 7.7 but TA is still 160ppm.

I performed the tests twice and I also use speedstir.
I tried with TF-100 and 2006 test kit. Same result. My drop size is good and I hold the bottle upside down completely (was doing this incorrectly in the initial days where it was slightly slanted)

Am I missing something.

-Prasad

With that addition of acid the TA will only be lowered by a few points and you will not see that amount show any difference on the TA test.

Use PoolMath and go to effects of adding chemicals section at the bottom of the page, insert all of your pool chem levels before using.

Thanks @ping.
The poolmath does not give numbers for reducing TA. It just says to reduce PH and then aerate.
Since I have a automatic pool cover I did not want to reduce it way down to 7.2

I guess I will approach this gradually. Maybe open up the cover over weekends.

-Prasad

Actually PoolMath does give numbers for reducing TA. If you go to the "Effects of adding chemicals" at the bottom, enter an amount of Muriatic Acid added, it will calculate pH reduction and TA reduction for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.