HELP! I spilled about 1 Cup of Behr concrete stain in my pool. Cloudy/milky

Mar 18, 2015
Crescent City
I spilled about 1 cup of Behr concrete solid color stain (Siliconized 100% Acrylic) Water based stain in my in ground pool. It is about 20,000 gallons. It immediately caused a milky white plum that spiraled upward. I have been running my pump for 3 days and cleaning the cartridge once a day. I shocked it right away and it seemed a bit better but it is still cloudy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear up my pool? Getting worried it will never clear up and I will have to drain 20,000 gallons of water and start over. Thanks in advance:(

Welcome to TFP!

You want to run with the FC level a bit higher than normal for a week or two. Also, try adding an enzyme treatment, for example Pool Perfect. That will help break down the chemicals in the stain that chlorine is not as good at breaking down.

Much better if you can find it without the PhosFree. PhosFree is not needed, raises the price, and can cause cloudiness of it's own.

I wouldn't call what I am proposing "shocking", though the general idea is the same. Add some extra chlorine so there is more chlorine around to help break down the stain. But you don't need to add as much as you would when fighting algae.

Welcome to the forum Shellielcj :wave:

Seems you're on track to clear up the concrete stain. Just curious who takes care of your pool as far as testing and treating the water ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.