Newbie with questions about test kits

Hello everyone,

My family has just put down a deposit on an 18' round above ground pool (Aqualeader Influence). Weather permitting, it should be installed mid May. I am so glad I found your website as my husband and I are very interested in using your method to maintain our pool. Being Canadian it is a little difficult to find a good test kit. I have been able to find the Taylor test kits which my understanding are the same as the TF test kits (which of course aren't available to me). Since it is a little bit of a pain to get decent test kits here should I buy the Taylor K2005 or the Taylor K2005C? How fast do you typically go through these test kits? If I am understanding correctly, I will have to test the FC daily? If so will I not blow though the chlorine portion of the kit fairly quickly? I don't mind spending more to get the bigger kit if I'm going to be able to use it before it expires.

Does anyone have any advice for a clueless newbie?

Thanks so much,

Kelly

I believe what you want is the Taylor 2006 which contains the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Initially you will use more reagents until you get to "know" your pool and how differing things affect it. We suggest keeping a log of your testing/chemical additions/results initially to help you. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to TFP!

All of the Taylor kits are a bit unbalanced, the regular version is fine on some tests, but has too few tests for other levels. While the C version is fine for some and way too much for others. This is the largest advantage of the TF100 from TFTestKits.net, it gives you quantities of everything that are more balanced in terms of normal usage, instead of giving you equal amounts of each reagent (which give wildly different numbers of tests).

Do no buy the K-2005 ... you need the K-2006. There was a member here that called a Taylor distributor up there and was able to buy a personalized kit with anything he wanted. So he put something together much like the TF-100.

I would have to search to find that thread again.

EDIT: Here it is. Might want to PM them to see who they talked to and what kind of deal they got.:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ed-help-please?p=760127&viewfull=1#post760127

Thank you so all so much. I'm so glad you caught my 2005 mistake. The company I was looking at doesn't appear to stock the 2006 kit. They do stock the 2005 and the K-1515 so I suppose I could go that route if it still works out cheaper. I have emailed the distributor for Canada too to get a list of sellers so I can see what other options there are. Amazon.ca has the 2006 for $103 but there is $35 shipping on to of that.

I eventually would like to get the TF100 kit but I've just let my passport lapse so that will have to wait. Worst part is my husband goes down fairly regularly to North Carolina for business but we aren't keen on taking pool testing chemicals in his luggage on a plane and then trying to cross the border. I know crossing by car it isn't a big deal but could see it being a bigger deal trying to take it on a plane.

I still have time to research this but just want to have the test kit in my possession before the pool goes up. We are complete newbies so want to do things properly from the beginning.

Thanks again for your help.

Kelly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.