Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Steel Wall Out Of Alignment

1. Back To Top    #1

Steel Wall Out Of Alignment

Hey guys, this might be an odd post but I noticed this morning (after a huge pool party yesterday and evening) that my pool wall seems to have been slightly dislodged (see pictures). The pool is only 1 year old. Is it normal for this to happen? Should I be concerned?
    [attachment=2:7zjxizdb]IMG00285.jpg[/attachment:7zjxizdb][attachment=2:7zjxizdb]IMG00286.jpg[/attachment:7zjxizdb][attachment=0:7zjxizdb]IMG00287.jpg[/attachment:7zjxizdb]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris

18'x36' (Depth: deep 8'6" shallow 3'6") rectangular 27,000 Gallon Vinyl In Ground. Hayward self-priming super pump 1 HP 2600x5-96, Hayward Pro Series High Rate 24" 7-Position 300 lb Sand Filter, Hayward H250 Natural Gas 250,000 BTU Electronic Ignitiion - Digital Readout Heater, Hayward Navigator 925V PoolVac.

Converted Baquacil to Chlorine - should have done it sooner!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Steel Wall Out Of Alignment

Where is this happening ? Shallow end or deep end? Top of the wall, middle, bottom? Its hard to tell from the pictures.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TizMe,

It is happening in the deep end for the full height of the steel wall . Image 287 is looking down at it from the surface.
    Chris

18'x36' (Depth: deep 8'6" shallow 3'6") rectangular 27,000 Gallon Vinyl In Ground. Hayward self-priming super pump 1 HP 2600x5-96, Hayward Pro Series High Rate 24" 7-Position 300 lb Sand Filter, Hayward H250 Natural Gas 250,000 BTU Electronic Ignitiion - Digital Readout Heater, Hayward Navigator 925V PoolVac.

4. Back To Top    #4

is there a join there or something? I would be inclined to call the pool people out to have a look at it. What are the chances that some of the back fill has settled ? Although you would think after 1 year any settling would have already happened.

Someone who knows more about pool structures though should be along shortly to give their expertise about this.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TizMe,

yes, there is a seam there. I believe it is where two of the steel sections bolt together?
    Chris

6. Back To Top    #6

You're right that that's where 2 panels bolt together. In addition to the bolts there should be an "A" brace attached to the top and bottom of the panels embedded in the concrete footing (collar) around the bottom of the panels. However, some PBs don't use the braces nor pour the collar

What has apparently happened is that the backfill material has pushed in at that seem - the pool water should have helped to support the wall and the brace should have prevented this. I think you'll have to call the builder and see what he says, with any luck, this is a warranty issue 8)

If you want to know how I'd go about fixing this just ask.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Are you sure this is a recent occurance and you didnt just notice it? As waste said, for this to ocur the whole way up would require a real screw up on your PBs part normally. When this happens it usually does so during backfilling, but does not extend to the bottomof the wall because the concrete collar prevents this. Walls usually "push" at the top. How large is the push? half an inch? does it decrease as it goes down? Does anything look odd about the coping there now?
    Matthew
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys for your advice. There is an "A" brace attached to the top and bottom of the panels embedded in the concrete footing (collar) around the bottom of the panels. I have some construction pictures I'll dig up and post them. I am pretty sure I have them around this area where the mis-alignment is.

This is a recent occurance for sure because I am out there EVERY day and pay particular attention to every inch of the wall. I look all the time and this is blatently obvious so I noticed it right away this morning. I know people were doing side to side laps and pushing off there (actually everywhere along the sides) during our party. I'd say the push is about 1/2 inch all the way up to the top to the collar (where it is even).

Waste, how would you fix this?
    Chris

9. Back To Top    #9

Has that got anything to do with the soft foam backing they put on the steel walls before hanging the liner? Maybe they overlapped it.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Warning! This is not good news for a 1 year old pool

The first thing to do is drain the pool down past the shallow end and cut out a big chunk of the new deck Dig out the seam and the brace and at least 1/2 way down both panels. Knowing that you have a brace there is good news (what I suspect happened is that the brace broke - the ones we use have a threaded rod welded to the brace for adjustments - the weld probably popped) as long as the brace is still in the collar a new one can be attached to it without having to break up the collar to install a whole new one. Now it's just a matter of getting the walls back straight and securing them (the coping may have to be removed) - brute force is the usual method, beat the panels back straight The fact that you have a liner in the way complicates things some, but not much - that's why we had to drain the pool, so the liner could be untucked while we pound on the seam - the only good thing about your pool being so new is that the liner can easily be reset

All that's left is to backfill the hole, reset the liner and wait for the ground to compact enough to repour that section of deck - unfortunately, it will always show as a patched section of deck , there is no way I know of to match up new crete with old, you can age the new crete with acid to make it look older than it is, but getting it to exactly match the existing stuff isn't going to happen (though with modern technology, someone out there might be a concrete aging artist and be able to do it)

It sucks to have to do this to a new pool! It's labor intensive and will never look quite right, but it beats having the pool collapse!

Let us know what the PB says, maybe he knows a couple of tricks I don't and it won't be that bad
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds like a grave outlook.. would leaving it as is be an option or do you think it will get worse? I'll be contacting my PB tomorrow and have them come out and take a look.
    Chris

12. Back To Top    #12

Chris, sorry to say that if it's gone this much, this quickly - it needs to be addressed ASAP! Anything done now will have less impact than doing it later! What needs to be addressed is why this happened in the first place - your PB should be able to provide some insight into this - you don't want this to be a yearly concern!

I'll be here to offer advice and suggestions, but nothing can replace having someone who knows their stuff actually see the problem to figure out what's going on...

Please ask any questions you have after the PB checks it out!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

13. Back To Top    #13

Waste, I really appreciate your honesty! I'll see what my PB says when they can get here.
    Chris

14. Back To Top    #14

We are having the same problem with our inground's steel wall that you did a few years ago. I am curious what you found out and how the problem was fixed . Thanks for any insight you can give us.
    20 x 40 Double Roman Cardinal Inground Vinyl Liner With steel Walls, Saltwater, Hayward Light, 1.5 HP pump,Sand Filter, Jandy booster pump