Cloudy water

So, welcome to TFP!! The water is probably cloudy because something is growing in the water, but without testing we can't point you in a direction.

Do you have one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome to TFP!

Assuming those readings were taken after at least an hour of circulating the water:

Hopefully your PH is actually 7.5, and not 75.

I recommend raising the FC level to around 10 manually, and then checking if the water is warm enough for the SWG to work (around 60 or higher for most brands).

If the chlorine does not all vanish instantly, the water should clear up over the next few days. If the chlorine does all vanish, you will need to SLAM the pool.

Longer term you will want to lower TA and raise CYA. But before tackling that get everything else stable.

I only use the salt tester strips and the 7 way tester strips. I winterized the pool and all the stuff laid on the bottom of the pool, but the water remained perfectly clear all winter. Then I went to brushing the pool and all that was on the bottom was like powder and it started making the water cloudy. I have read the ABCs of water chemistry, going to read the other two.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes 7.5 and yes it had circulated all day before I checked it. the water temp has been 58 - 62. How can I raise the FC that high from 0? And what does SLAM mean?

Yes 7.5 and yes it had circulated all day before I checked it. the water temp has been 58 - 62. How can I raise the FC that high from 0? And what does SLAM mean?
Liquid chlorine. Yo may not be able to get the 10 or 12.5% stuff around you, but 8.25% laundry bleach from WalMart (no scents of additives, just bleach) will do the trick. Laundry bleach is really nothing more than a weaker chlorine solution.

You should read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School to fully understand it. But, as Jason said, wait on the slam until you get chlorine in th epool and see if you need that drastic an action.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.