Help identifying this stain or deposit

daronj

Feb 5, 2013
Hi, can someone assist me in identifying and possibly removing this stain or deposit. Looks like possibly a calcium scale deposit, not sure. Here are a couple of pictures.

The pool is a 20,000 gallon, salt water, gunite with diamond brite plaster.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 161
That looks like the beginnings of scaling. It looks like it has poor circulation in those areas.

Can you post some test results? If you have high CH, TA, or pH, you're more prone to get it. The good news is, maintaining pH at the lower end of the acceptable range and brushing that area could dissolve it back into solution. In a space of months, if not years. But it worked for me.

Also, play with you return eyeballs. See if you can't improve the water flow there.

What Richard said about test ruslts would help a LOT.
It sorta look like Calcium though.

A couple different tests you can do.

you can test it by putting chlorine tab on it. If the stain lifts, the stain is orgaic and should come off with a it of elevated FC and Time

You can test it by putting a VItamin C tablet on it. If the stain lightens, then the stain is metal.

Thanks, I'll post my test results tomorrow. It was completely white and then started turning a little brownish. Could very well be a water flow issue. It is on the opposite side of my steps from the filter return.

Okay, I had my water tested this morning and this is what they said.

Total Chlorine 1
Salt 2700
Calcium Hardness 200
Cyanuric Acid 30
Total Alkalinity 90
pH 7.6
Phosphates 100

Obviously I have a couple of issues to take care of, but do you guys think dropping the Phosphates and the pH a bit and just brushing is my plan of action with this deposit?

Forget phosphates....irrelevant in your situation. Get your chlorine up to about 4 ppm pronto. Report the effects of the tests Divin Dave suggested. Put your City and State in your sig so we can suggest a CYA level (probably higher)

I think that stain is a chemical "spill" wherein something like acid was poured directly into the pool and it sunk to the bottom. It could also be a stain that was deposited when the pool was empty. Still guesswork at this point but it may be permanent.

Okay, I had a different pool store test the water again today because I am not 100% sure I trust the first one. This is what they found

TC 1
pH 7.5
TA 85
Calcium Hardness 80
Stabilizer 30
Salt 2700

The Calcium hardness came out way low. They thought this might be the cause of the stain. I adjusted the calcium, added stabilizer and shock.

I also test the stain with vitamin C and chlorine tab as indicated above. No real change in color from either test.

- - - Updated - - -

Forget phosphates....irrelevant in your situation. Get your chlorine up to about 4 ppm pronto. Report the effects of the tests Divin Dave suggested. Put your City and State in your sig so we can suggest a CYA level (probably higher)

I think that stain is a chemical "spill" wherein something like acid was poured directly into the pool and it sunk to the bottom. It could also be a stain that was deposited when the pool was empty. Still guesswork at this point but it may be permanent.

Thanks, I am in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I have been the only one to ever maintain the pool since new and I have never poured any chemicals in this location. The stain just appeared in the last month or two.

never poured any chemicals in this location.
Well, since the stain is quite localized, it's hard to imagine an overall water condition (like low CH or low or high anything else) causing that in one concentrated spot. I can't think of any explanation other than a concentrated spill of some kind......especially since the tests for staining came back negative.

Both of Dave's comments above are the best and most likely scenario. Even a powder like cyanuric acid, soda ash, dry acid, etc., can leave a stain like that.

How old is the pool? Have you felt that area with your hand, and is it rough or sandpaper like? The surface could be etched or scaled.
The roughness of the plaster could have been caused when new and before the pool was filled with water, and now has stained after time from dirt or metals in the water.

As a remedy, try using 100 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper for a few minutes and see if it comes off. The sandpaper will also make the plaster surface very smooth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.