Single vs variable speed

The PB we are leaning toward building our pool with said we only needed a 1.5 single speed motor. Since we want a simple 15x30 3.5' x 6' x 5' without any other features or spa it wasn't necessary to have a variable speed. I keep reading on the sight how variable speeds save on energy bills. Would the variable speed be of any help with our pool? Do we need the 1.5 hp or would the 1.0 hp work?

What the PB said is true, but misleading. A single speed will cost double, or more, to run compared to a two speed or variable speed pump. So a single speed is indeed all you need, but that doesn't make it a good choice.

Your best choice for minimizing lifetime costs is probably a 1 HP two speed pump. A small variable speed is also alright, though likely to cost just a little more in total. A larger variable speed will never pay back it's up front costs.

Welcome to the Forum Grigg :wave:

+1 with Jason. I think you'd be much happier with your electric bill with a 1hp two speed. For a little more up front you get paid back more in what you save. It will still keep the pool clean and clear.

I agree with the others. Two speed pump is more than highly preferred over a signle speed and would serve your needs well.

The VS pump even though not required and probably wouldnt save you any noticeable $ on your light bill, do have some nice features though. Such as built in freeze protection, timer, ability to schedule RPMs and on an off times multiple times a day. Basically, eliminating the need for an external pump timer w/ freeze protection, which you would need with either a 1 or 2 speed pump. And quiet. I have to sneak up on mine to even know its running! So, there may be some value in those types of features. Just come down to personal preference and $.

On the downside though, the Drives on the VS pumps don't like power surges, so a surge protection would be highly recommended. It will be expensive to get a VS pump repaired or replaced should something go wrong with it.

+1 to the above posts but which pump line is he considering?

Are there going to be any water features or a spa that are not listed in your sig?

Is that a typo in your sig (Haywood vs Hayward)?

Not sure what you mean by pump line. It's a 2" pc if that answes it. Yes, typo. It should
be Hayward. No, other features just a simple pool.

Would it make a differnce if we added an additional skimmer? He's recommending one large but we have a lot of oak trees and were thinking 2 might be better.

Sounds like we need to go with a variable.

Pump line such as TriStar, SuperPump, MaxFlo, etc. Do you have a model #?

Sounds like we need to go with a variable.
Why do you say that? Most of the recommendations are for a two speed and not a VS.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.