Our final design in North Texas (outside DFW)

EminenceFront

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 12, 2015
Forney, TX
Hey guys,

Been lurking for quite a while, picking up some tips, ideas, gawking at designs reading horror stories and ultimately trying to eliminate any design and execution errors caused by either inexeperience, Naivite', or both.

Here are some pics of our design. It's basically a 91' freeform, with about 540 Sq.Ft. of surface area in the pool, and another 50 in the Spa. i worked it out roughly 18,000 gallons, which is perfect for our little family of 2 bigs and 3 littles.
It's going to tie into an already large Aggregate partially covered patio we have in place. We have a little over an acre so placement wasn't an issue, we just wanted to be able to have the pool close enough to be comfortable using it, without feeling like you were "remote" from the main covered patio. So, we are going about 9 feet from the edge of our existing patio (which also greatly reduces the decking we need to pour, which can get pricey beyond 400-500sqft.

We worked with 4 builders here in the metroplex and ultimately went with the slower guys, who use their own crews predominantly. We could have a pool thrown up in 4 weeks this time of year, but we really wanted some lag in the process and flexibility for changes along the way.

Only question I really had was, Have any of you gotten to the layout stage, looked at the forms and said "meh, I really wanna change this, or that, or make it deeper, or yada yada.?"

Now that we have signed off on this design as "final" (pending.) we are starting to get signers remourse LOL... We're not getting cold feet, it's just one of the few things in life you can't change once the steel goes in without a big headache.

Thanks and looking forward to ideas, thoughts, criticism and a big Texas welcome.

Thanks

EF

p.s.

If any of you are on the fence about spending the $30 to support this site. Figure this, (3) Diy / Design magazines which run from $7 - $11 each, will roughly cover the cost of this site for lifetime, for one user. It's money well spent and I have probably already saved myself $2200 on our design, by eliminating redundancy, or postponing upgrades I wouldn't otherwise realize the value of in the first couple years of pool ownership.

I highly recommend donating the $30, or MORE... -/Rant

Davenport New Pool4_001.jpg

Davenport New Pool4_002.jpg

Pool-3 Construction Drawing.jpg

Very nice looking pool there. I love it. Good luck and post lots of pictures please.

+1 on sending TFP some cash! Yes this site has helped me so much in not just saving money, but with the pool construction too!

Update on Status

Anyone who watched the news, knows we have had biblical rain here in North Texas since late march. In fact, I think it stopped raining all of 4-days in all of April. And May is working on a record month as well.

Thus, our 6-7 week build is likely going to be 10.

Fortunately, we haven't had the issues most have. Our builder left (2) Large weep holes in the bottom of the shell, so it looks like structurally we're in good shape.

Also, we had a nice clear 70-degree day 2 weeks ago, and they were able to steel and sand the patio decking area. (of course, the truck was en route with Mud when the sky opened up again.)

So, here we sit, at the end of week 7.

At least it will be nice and cured and settled when it's plastered. LOL

Pool-Status-05-14-2015.jpg

Hi EF! I'm just now seeing your build thread. You have a lovely shaped pool design.

I really connected with your comment about having a bit of remorse over the layout or signing. I felt that way after our gunite was shot, "Wow, have I messed up?!" My concern was the poor visibility with the location of our spa. When looking at the PB's renderings, visibility never entered my mind. But when I first walked down into the gunited pool, I was disappointed how much the spa would block seeing anyone in the pool on the other side of the spa. I'm not sure what your concerns were, but I love how well you will be able to see all of your pool at different viewing angles. I certainly look at the design renderings differently now!!! The good thing for us and my big layout mistake, is that there will be few little ones in the pool while we live here. My boys are grown, so it will be the rare occasional grandchild of a friend. I'll have to make sure we sit or swim where we can see behind that "blind spot".

We're in the same spot as you with the rain here in the Houston area. It's been 9 1/2 weeks since we signed our contract. We didn't get the dig and gunite for almost a month after that. Then with the rain and my fickle mind in picking out tile, it's been a month this Saturday since our gunite was shot. I tell myself the same thing - stronger shell, stronger shell....

I love your last photo with the sky and clouds and guessing the sun setting. Beautiful! Best of luck with the weather up your way! Suz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.