Saturation Index on Vinyl liner

Oct 6, 2013
Ok gentlemen...another post from the reluctant pool owner...

36000 gal vinyl liner in South Carolina.
FC=10
pH=7.6
TA=100
CH=80
CYA=70
Temp=60
Taylor k-2006 Test Kit

Just brought pumps up after winter, SLAMed to clear up green water. Took about 35 gallons of 8% bleach to get my FC up, but it is holding well. A few days later, water is still cloudy but not green.

My question is this: with the low CH, it makes my "WaterGram" (calculation wheel from the test kit) saturation index off...I know that this site says not to add calcium back to a vinyl liner pool, but if I adjust the CH, then my saturation index comes back in line. So...should I worry about it or not? Should I even be using the Watergram wheel, or just use the target values and forget the wheel. It is handy to see what changes will do to bring me in balance, but other than that, I don't really know why I am even looking at it. Thanks.

A vinyl liner pool is totally fine with CSI being negative. Any kind of pool has a problem with it being too high. Low CSI is all about the risk to plaster surfaces, which you do not have.

In general you can completely ignore the watergram wheel. The only real exception is if you are unable to keep your levels in the recommended range for some reason, then it is good to double check that CSI/watergram is not getting too high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.