Shifting Cement Issues around Pool

Sep 19, 2014
MI
Hi everyone. I'm a new pool owner and purchased a house with an in-ground pool with some issues.

Cement deck shifting away from pool:
I have a concrete issue around the pool with the large slabs that surround the pool on one side. These slabs have shifted away from the pool due to erosion over time. In some places, there is near a 6" or more gap from the pool to the concrete slabs now (see picture). Does anyone know of a technique to push these slabs back up toward the pool or how to fix this? Things that I have thought about 1) Create wood inlays to cover the gaps (water will likely still get under and the erosion will continue; 2) rent a bobcat to push the slabs back in place ; 3) repour all new cement in these areas (might not match but may fix erosion problem?) 4) hire a company to drill holes in the cement and re-level the slabs by pushing sand underneath and push slabs back somehow. 5) any other ideas?

No cement around skimmer:
The second concrete issue is that the concrete was taken out or just never put in for the skimmer (see picture #2). Can I pour concrete in here around the skimmer or should I hire a company to do this?

I am not sure on the cost of these options but some are obviously more expensive (pouring new cement) than others. Does anyone have experience with issues like this and what did you do and recommend? I'd rather do it as cheaply as can be done but still have it look good and not have someone break an ankle or toes.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20140819_183709384.jpg
    IMG_20140819_183709384.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20140816_164608349.jpg
    IMG_20140816_164608349.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 353
Thanks for the info guys. I am worried that the new concrete won't match the rest if I repour. I also am not sure how long I will have the house for, thinking maybe 5 years or so. Anyone have other solutions that may work?

Does anyone else have any recommendations on how to fix this instead of busting up and installing new concrete? Would a fill in with quikcrete work. I would leave a 1" gap between the coping and quickcrete and then fill with a foam rod and self leveling caulk. Any thoughts on this?

If you are seriously thinking 5 years and you are going to move, I would attempt to patch them up. Of course, it may not look as appealing as if you broke up the old and replace with new as suggested. As far as the slabs, you could use a long crow bar and wedge it under the slab to inch it back toward the pool edge. Just my thoughts here.

One way to avoid the problem with mismatched concrete... replace all the concrete around your pool! I know that sounds expensive, and it is. I'm new to pools but have a background in foundation repair. I never try to patch a foundation problem. I always look for a bit of an over-repair with my thoughts of preventing the same problem from returning. If you have signs of shifting earth on one side of the pool, you may have issues all around the pool but not showing the signs yet. Plus.. when you start repairing some areas it may create problems that will show in the areas you didn't repair later. The last thing you want to do, is get stuck doing this in steps... meaning... fix a few spots then a couple years later fix others. With every fix comes the possibility of creating new settling issues in other areas for whatever reason (using big equipment near your pool, unsettling a neighboring area of earth, etc.).

If you remove all the concrete around your pool, you have the opportunity to make sure the earth around your bond beam is prepared properly by creating a well-compacted sand barrier (or compact-rated medium) around it, and then finishing off your concrete deck properly to prevent water leaks near the edge which will lead to future soil erosion and the same problem returning.

I'm a rookie concerning pools... so it is worth the experts in here commenting about my fix. However... if this was a house and sinking flatwork butting up against the house, I know just the fix! I do have plenty of experience with soil erosion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.