Best Pump for my Setup

Mar 16, 2015
Mesa, AZ
I currently have a 1-hp single speed pump. I have been thinking about buying a 2-speed pump but I am confused on a little with all the water features in my pool.

To summarize my setup, 2" PVC coming out of the sand filter, the water first hits the waterfall outlet, then the dekchlor(always closed since I switched to TFP method!), then the aerator(only on when I am raising PH) and finally the AA infloor cleaning. If I have the waterfall valve completely open I do not get any pressure in any of the other features down line. If I close the waterfall valve to about 50% I get some pressure down-line but not enough to operate the infloor cleaning.
I would just turn off the waterfall however I have no other way to really circulate the water other than the waterfall (no eyeballs).

Would a stronger pump help the pressure to the infloor cleaning while still allowing the waterfall to operate at some capacity for circulation?
Any suggestions or alternatives?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

With an in-floor cleaner, there are no usually wall jets ... the floor cleaner provides plenty of circulation without the waterfall on.

If you want to run the waterfall and the in-floor, then you would need to go to a larger pump. Also with an in-floor cleaner, you can not really take advantage of a 2-speed, since you need the higher flow rates for the system to operate correctly ... this is a major downside of those floor systems ... having to run a larger pump at large speeds.

Thanks for clearing that up! I didnt think the in-floor cleaning provided enough circulation on their own.

Are the in-floor heads meant to be run the entire time the pump is on?? or does it make sense to go up to a 1.5 hp 2 speed pump and run it on low with just the waterfall for a bunch of hours and then run on high for a few hours to allow the in-floor to work?

The point of the in-floor system is to run it enough to keep the debris suspended in the water and moved to the floor drain of skimmer. I have no idea how long of a run time is required for it to keep your pool clean.

I suppose you could run just the waterfall on low to hope to get some skimming, but I am not sure that would help anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.