Herbicides in pool?

Mar 16, 2015
Winfield, KS
We live in a rural area and have a wheat field right behind the house. Mid January we had several shrubs loose their leaves and some appear to have died (it's a little early to be sure). We suspect the wheat field was sprayed but have not been able to verify that. We did talk to a farmer who said the most likely thing that would have been sprayed that time of year was 2,4-D.
The cover was off the pool by that time since all the trees had lost their leaves so there is a possibility that whatever it was got into the pool water.
My research so far indicates that there should not be a health risk to swimming in that water but I wanted to see if anyone had more knowledge of this.
Thanks!
Greg

I can't imagine anybody spraying 2,4-D in January. It is absorbed through the leaves, so would be ineffective at that time of year, and can actually reduce yield. 2,4-D is not usually used on wheat in the fall or winter at all. Late March here in Indiana would be the earliest spraying time, both because it needs green foliage and because it doesn't work well below 50F.

Just an update; the lady from the extension office just called and she is pretty confident that my plants suffered winter kill. She said the last 2 to 3 years have been really hard on landscape plants, and that the freezing/thawing cycles we had this year probably did them in.
So a little later in the spring I will be able to enjoy the pool....... after planting new shrubs ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.