4-Year old water ...startup?

Blink

Jul 29, 2011
Somerset, WI
I purchased the TK-100 kit 4-years ago and have been very pleased! My pool has remained crystal clear using the Trouble Free Pool philosophies. I live in winter climates (Wisconsin) so I drain down about 2-ft each year to get below jets and winterize. In spring, I fill from hose back up to level. That said, my water is getting about 4-years old now… wondering if I need to test for anything else? I have “well-water” so do I need to be aware of anything that might be creeping up slowly? I do have some iron in my water (I treat that with my water softener-inside house) but have not seen any signs of that in my pool, not sure if I test for that or not…since my pool has been over the years in perfect/near perfect balance. I usually test my pool every other day so I catch stuff early before stuff gets outta whack. When kids are using constantly and air temps are soaring over 90 I check daily.

I use the Pentair Clean and Clear plus 420 Cartridge Filter system if that's of any relevance and my pool is a (inground) chlorine water pool. Roughly 30,000 gallons. All my equipment is Pentair - zero issues.

Thanks for any input!

I'm in WI, on well water too.
Most important is your CYA. When you fill your pool are you taking water that's gone through the softener or is the spigot outside bypassed from the softener like most are ??
If you're taking water for the pool after the softener you will get a little salt in the pool but the amount isn't a problem. Some people with chlorine pools add salt, it's a personal thing.
If you have any issue with staining you might want to have the iron tested but if you don't have staining I'd just keep doing what you're doing and enjoy your pool (as soon as it thaws out). ;)

The only reason to replace water is if you are having a problem with high CH or high CYA or very high Salt levels. Depending on local conditions you may never have a problem, or something might get too high occasionally.

+1 what jblizzle said. Four years is just too long for the reagents to be dependable. Naturally, I have a financial agenda, but I would replace ALL of them, esp while the complete kit is on sale.

Iron is the most common issue with well water but you are solving that nicely with the softener. Like others have said, you are doing a nice job managing your water

Thanks for the input! Just wanted to double check here with all you gurus to make sure I was not overlooking something. Good point to replace my reagents! My filling is from the spicket with no softening but to date really has not mattered. My iron is minimal here. I watch CYA closely...I learned the hard way in the beginning using those crappy pucks...yikes! It took a while to get out all the **** the local pool store was selling me. Never looked back... thanks to all of you and this site!! Cheer’s to another swim season... loud music, fun friends, good drinks and most of all great memories :) Thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.