Partially Burying a Doughboy Above Ground Pool w/ deep end (AGP Build)

mbuice

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2014
Denton, TX
Greetings Everyone,

I've been lurking for about a year now, and we've finally bitten the bullet. We spent last summer with an 18' round 4' deep starter pool, and now thanks to Pool School and Pool Math, we think we're ready.

Here is what I've ordered, and I will include the prices because that was what I was always looking for when I was lurking!

Doughboy Autumn Breeze 18X34 with Deep End: comes with pool, liner, skimmer, 250# sand filter,1.5 hp 2 speed pump, and maintenance kit.

Pool: $5999
Expandable Liner upcharge: $500
Larger skimmer upcharge: $75
Wedding Cake Steps: $300
5 bags of sand: $75
Nut Grass Killer: $75
Pool Cove: $150
Pump Timer: $85
Enhanced Warranty: $200 (in case one of my kiddos tears the liner)

7,459 + 615 (tax) = 8,074

Installation of a half-deep bury with 7 foot deep end was quoted at $3000. Installer is coming tomorrow to take measurements. I will try to take before pictures also.

Can't wait to see pics! Good luck with your build!!!

Alrighty! After spending the better part of the morning and afternoon draining and folding up our starter pool, I was finally able to snap a couple of pictures. You can see where we leveled out and framed up a space for it. Unfortunately the new pool can't go there because we have an easement with cable lines running through it. The new pool is only going to be about 8 feet away from the house, but at least it will be further away from the trees.

Pool Before 1.jpg

Here is a view from the fence. We're going to put the new pad for the equipment next to the water hose, that way there hopefully won't be a need for extensive electrical work since there is already a GFCI outlet right there.
Pool Before 2.jpg

We're also having the trees trimmed (buzzed) down quite a bit today too. I'm a teacher and this is my spring break. I was hoping to get more done, but it's supposed to rain for the rest of the week. :mad:

Anyway, hope everyone is having a lovely day!

My test kit arrived today (excellent shipping by the way), and while I am thrilled that I am another baby step closer, it also highlights how very far we still have to go.
The weather has been rainy and the installer has put off our first meeting twice now. Hopefully he will be here Monday.
Also, the surveyors came and marked our buried lines, and it appears that we won't have to have anything moved, so that's a plus.
Anyway, hope everyone is having a lovely Friday!

Hmm, I was planning on using it for the pump, and perhaps a light, but I know that it is tied with the other gcfi in a bathroom. I'll have my dad take a look at it, he's very skilled with electricity thank goodness.
Thanks!

Congrats on the Doughboy. It's pretty much the only rated pool for burial. As for the electric... Make sure everything is grounded and bonded. Check with a local electrician to make sure every connection is ok before jumping in. I was one who so happy to get a pool. I made sure I was getting the right one (to bury), but completely overlooked the electrical aspect. I'm very glad someone pointed me in the right direction before I completed everything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks woodyp and LI pool guy, I will also ask tomorrow if the bonding/grounding is included in the install, or if I will need to get someone else for that.

Fingers crossed that we actually meet tomorrow!

Okay, the install does not include bonding, so I will be looking for an electrician after all. That being said, I'm now also questioning my skimmer location. I wanted it close to where I want to put my equipment, and the installer said it would need to be on one of the "curves" of the pool. Does anyone see any reason why it wouldn't be okay to have the skimmer on the shallow end near the house?

We really don't have much of a breeze, so there's really not a point of "down wind" to find.

Also, the digging starts next week!!!

The skimmer can go ANYWHERE you want it. I had mine installed in a spot that the installer said was wrong. He was right (in a way), because of the of the return line being in the wrong spot as well. The skimmer hole and return hole are pre cut into the pool wall at the factory, so you have no "choice" as to where the return goes. However, because I wanted my skimmer in a location that was dictated by the equipment location, I was getting poor circulation because of the location of the return. This was easily solved by inserting a 45 degree 1/2" pvc elbow ($1.35 Home Depot) into the return eyeball and directing the water in the direction I needed it to go. It's completely unnoticeable and very easily moved to either direct the water up (to break the surface and aerate) or direct the water down to blow all the debris on the floor to one side making it easier to vacuum.

We have an Autumn Breeze doughboy (ours is 28' round) with a deep end (about 7 ft) and surrounding deck. Absolutely love it! Deep end really makes it fun for the kids. Can't wait for the warm weather.

Digging starts first thing tomorrow morning. My dad will also be running a new plug straight from the box, on its own dedicated circuit.

Now about the equipment pad. My plan was to move some gigantic pavers that I already had to create an equipment pad. These aren't ordinary pavers, they're really thick. I cleared out my desired area and leveled it out, then I began digging up the old pavers. Well, what I thought were 4 inch thick pavers, were in fact 6 inch pavers, and I actually broke my shovel getting the first one lose from the ground. I've seen on the forum that people have used A/C pads with good luck, has anyone here had a good experience with this? I've also looked at many different posts, and I can't really tell just how big the equipment pad should be. If I went with 1 A/C pad, would it be big enough?

Awesome pool guy arrived super early this morning, as promised. It was too dark to take a picture after he marked off the final location. And wouldn't you know it, it's raining!!! I had to leave for work, but it looks like the rain is supposed to stop after only about 30 minutes.

Also, we decided that since we're running a new outlet anyway, we might as well put the equipment around the side of the house, where we wanted it to begin with. I will go home at lunch and take some pictures. Thanks everyone!

Can't wait to see the pics! Is the pool going up today or just excavation?

Unfortunately I couldn't get home at lunch, but when I did return, at 5:00 this was what I saw:

Pool Dig 1.jpgPool Dig 2.jpg

Like I said, they arrived super early, and were still working when I got home. I don't think they left until almost 7. They also loaded the sand, and I had my daughter climb up on the play structure to take a picture. I should have had her use my phone, her iPhone does not take quality pictures.

arial pool.jpg

As they were leaving they asked me to keep the water hose on in the fill pool for a couple of hours. This made me curious because I hadn't seen a fill pool in the back yard. At some point after I got home they had set up my old intex to use as a fill pool in my front yard. I told them that I was concerned about having a pool with that much water in my front yard because some kid might decide to take a swim, plus that thing was disgusting! They didn't seem fazed, but said it they could come up with something different in the morning, so we shut the water off, and they left.

Well being the impatient person that I am, I convinced my awesome husband to come with me into the back yard to clear out a space for our old pool, which is 18' round, no small feat considering how much of our back yard is either a giant mound of dirt, or a giant hole. We ended up getting our teens out to help push our storage shed back a couple of feet, and it just fit in the side yard. I also thought I remembered seeing a small tear in the old pool when we were rolling it up, but it held the water all night. We were just going to haul it off, but now we're going to try to find someone who might get some use out of it.

They showed up again this morning before daylight, and I can hardly stand to stay here at work knowing that my pool is going in without me!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.