Water Temp target for FC

SavannahDan

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 19, 2015
Savannah GA
Hello! I am new to the forum, so thank you for listening!
Just got a brand new vinyl liner and decided to switch to a SWG since the water was going to start fresh. I have been slowly getting the numbers right, however, my TAC and FAC are still at 0. Can you tell me if I should go ahead and shock the pool to start the chlorine now, or should I wait until my SWG is producing enough? The guy at the pool store recommended Fresh and Clear to use as a shock due to the pool now using salt. My SWG has been reluctant to allow settings above 25% and the water temp has just reached 72 degrees.
Current readings are (checked at store and home kit)
FAC: 0
TAC: 0
Salt: 3500
CH: 300
TA: 100
pH: 7.4

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You need chlorine in your pool pronto..... use bleach while you are sorting things out.

What is you CYA measurement and someone can tell you how much bleach?

Pool store guy wants you to buy stuff....we want to help you understand why you don't need to.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School for starters

Yup, what they said!!! Stay away from the pool store - they will just try to lighten your wallet.

If you don't already have one, you will need to pick up one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

And, you really don't need to run your pump 24/7. All you are doing is paying the power company money they don't need.

Thanks guys! Yes, I have a test kit. The best one that they had at Leslies Pools. Seems to be right on the money matching up against the store tests. My CYA is reading 97. Per this site's calculator I need to add about 2 1/2 gallons of bleach to get my FC to around 6? What does that equate to in PPM? The values say 5 to 13 instead of a ppm reading? One other question, what kind of bleach is 6%?

Since your chlorine is 0 ppm, I would suggest going to 10 to 15 ppm and doing an OCLT to see if a full Slam is indicated. The numbers recommended are in ppm. You really need the FAS-DPD test to measure your levels correctly, especially since your CYA is so high.

Regular bleach is now 8.25 % sodium hypochlorite. Make sure that you only get "regular" bleach for standard machines. Don't get any special use bleach such as "Outdoor", "Splashless", Scented, High efficiency etc. Make sure that it shows 8.25% sodium hypochlorite on the label. If not, don't get it.

Thank you James! I appreciate the info on the type of bleach to use. My "deluxe" kit was lacking the FAS-DPD test! I am giving up on Leslies! Not much of a choice here in Savannah unfortunately! I wish the "calculator on this site would give you more of an exact reading as far as ppm's are concerned about the chlorine! Does anyone know what 6-13 translates to as far as ppm? I am going to start with 2 1/2 gallons of bleach and go from there. I will post my results and try to calculate the ppm's.

My "deluxe" kit was lacking the FAS-DPD test!
You can add the FAS-DPD. You probably bought Leslie's version of the Taylor K-2005, and at about twice the price I'm sure.

I am giving up on Leslies! Not much of a choice here in Savannah unfortunately!
Good idea. If you follow the methods taught here you will no longer need to go in a pool store. Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Lowes will sell you everything you need.

Does anyone know what 6-13 translates to as far as ppm? I am going to start with 2 1/2 gallons of bleach and go from there. I will post my results and try to calculate the ppm's.
6 - 13 is 6ppm - 13ppm No translation needed

@Tim, Thanks! I have indeed ordered the test kit for the FAS-DPD to add to my kit. I got the 81-330 version. Live and learn! Thanks for the clearing up the ppm question! I guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees! LOL I will post again on this thread when the results are in! I had a pool guy for the last 5 years while I was overseas. Time to learn to do this myself now that I am home!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Tim, Thanks! I have indeed ordered the test kit for the FAS-DPD to add to my kit. I got the 81-330 version. Live and learn! Thanks for the clearing up the ppm question! I guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees! LOL I will post again on this thread when the results are in! I had a pool guy for the last 5 years while I was overseas. Time to learn to do this myself now that I am home!
No problem. I just looked up that kit and see it only has the 3/4 oz bottles. You will be replacing some of them quickly.

TFTestkits.net is the sponsor of this forum and sells all of the reagent refills you will need. It helps support the site.

You can also become a site supporter to keep the lights on if you feel you get value from the site.

A quick update of my readings. After adding the recommended amount of bleach and obtaining a FAS-DPD kit. I now have Chlorine readings of 7.25 FC and 1 PPM CC per my test results. Getting some rain here and tons of pollen, so I have let the pump run 16 hours a day to keep it clean. My SWC output is only happy when set at 15% or below. If I set it any higher it gives me a no output/low amps warning. Water temp is still only 73 however so I expect it to improve as we warm up. Any comments are welcomed! LOL

Wait, What? In post #6 OP remarks that CYA is at 97, after a recent liner instal?? What test method was used to determine that? Seems suspect and you need a good CYA for chlorine dosing min and target, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.