Motor and housing issues

21DJG3

Mar 15, 2015
Apple Valley/CA
I have a whisperflo 2 HP motor with a hum at start up (either capacitor or bearings). I pulled the assembly and put it on the work bench in the garage and found other issues. My question is, how screwed am I?
3bb77eace14876cad303fec0f2c888e1.jpg
07609a0e97e44b0e51fc20edf90110f4.jpg

A hum could just the the capacitor. The rust could be from a shaft seal leak. If you were to replace the cap and the seal, all might be fine for awhile.

Why do you need such a large pump?
Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

One path forward could be to replace just the motor. If you do, I would recommend a 2-speed version to say yourself some money on electricity.

Welcome to the forum 21DJG3 :wave:

The hum does sound like something the start cap would cause if it's going/gone.

Screwed would be if it's so badly rusted it can't be taken apart without breaking stuff.

The rust you are seeing could be the seal or could be condensation depending on the age of the pump. Is the pump protected from the weather with an enclosure or ....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.