Elephant pad under new pool install?

BellaBuggy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 24, 2015
Bardstown KY
We are having a new 33' installed in a few weeks and are looking at underlayments. The pool store didn't recommend anything and they typically just use sand. After researching on our own, we think we should do more and planned to purchase a gorilla pad. I've run across the generic 'elephant pad' and wondered if anyone had any experience with these? Are they truly comparable? Would love to save some money where we can, but don't want to regret it. :)

I used one because my hill was made up of fill (rocks, bricks, cinder blocks n glass). I didn't want to chance it.

Welcome to the forum BellaBuggy :wave:

Congratulations on the purchase. Hope to see install pictures to follow the progress :goodjob:

We have two Gorilla pads over the original tarp. I purchased one that I thought would be too small, then I purchased another that turned out to be too big - so we ended up using both. Very soft footing! It has kept the gophers out. When filling your pool add a small amount of water to stretch it out (Also a good time to check for any leaks), then smooth out all the wrinkles and fill it up.

We have two Gorilla pads over the original tarp. I purchased one that I thought would be too small, then I purchased another that turned out to be too big - so we ended up using both. Very soft footing! It has kept the gophers out. When filling your pool add a small amount of water to stretch it out (Also a good time to check for any leaks), then smooth out all the wrinkles and fill it up.

I also went with the gorilla pad, We dont have gophers, but we do have cicadas . So if you know the cicadas cycle in your area, might want to consider it.
We know a guy that had them come up, after his pool was up for 3 years,they were o the 10 year cycle. tons of holes in his liner

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm looking for it mainly for protection of the liner, but have also read that they may help reduce indentions which would of course be nice. We have a lot of big trees, and moles around...any extra layer will help. :)

Don't count on it to reduce indentations unless you smooth and compact the sand base. I did not have enough time to pay attention to detail. It shows, even though I have the pad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.