New pump and motor Hayward advice

Apr 21, 2008
I have a 16x32 inground pool. Current pump/motor is Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Max-Rated Single-Speed Pool Pump.
This is the 1 HP model. I need to replace. I can get the 1.5 hp model for about 20 dollars more.
Thoughts on 1 Hp vs 1.5 hp.
I have a Hayward sand filter also.
Thanks.

Unless you are having some specific problem with your current pump, or are adding a water feature you haven't mentioned, it is better to stick with the 1 HP version. With pumps smaller is almost always better.

You can save a great deal on electricity by switching to a dual speed version of the pump. It will cost a little more up front and save you roughly 50% of the electricity needed to run the pump.

Mike it doesnt really matter if you replace it with exactly the same model or not, unless you just want to.

Would recommend to stay with a 1 HP though.

Also, we would recommend going with a 2 speed pump. The 2 speed will give plenty of circulation on the low speed and result in very significant savings
on the electric usage.

guys, thanks for the expert advice !
What two speed pump should I get?

Does it take different wiring, I am on 220... now. I am worried if I change styles I will need to replumb my lines.

thoughts- how does two speed work?

you might have to reconfigure some plumbing just because of physical difference in your current pump vs a new one. Plumbing is so easy though. If you can measure, cut and glue...you got it made. But then again, maybe not. Here is Hayward 1 HP 2 Speed pump. http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02201170001134.htm
Note- no endorsement given for the this webisite. Its for reference only.

On High Speed, the motor runs at 3450 RPM pumping a full flow rate of water
On Low Speed, the RMP is cut in half to 1725, and you get half the flow... the sweet part is that at slow speed, you only use 1/4 of the electiricity as on high speed

The two speed pumps are 220V just like you have now.
If you are using ab automated system of some sort, you will need to run 1 more wire from the controller so you can select between high and low speed.

If you dont have a auto controller and only use a timer (or not), then no extra wire is needed.
You have to be careful when ordereing, and make sure you get a pump with the speed switch already installed on the pump. (they come with and without the switch installed).

guys, thanks for the expert advice !
What two speed pump should I get?

Does it take different wiring, I am on 220... now. I am worried if I change styles I will need to replumb my lines.

thoughts- how does two speed work?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.