First Time Having Algae!

Jun 24, 2014
Navarre, Florida
So we just made it through the first winter with our pool. It stayed clear until about 3 weeks ago and now we have what looks like a slimy pond. Getting ready to do a SLAM and have a question.

I started out testing the water with a Taylor K-2006 test kit. When I got to the CYA test I realized that I don't have any of the R-0013 reagent and I couldn't find a pool store open so I got a AquaChek test strip kit from Ace Hardware that had a CYA test on it. I've ordered the replacement reagent but I wanted to get started with the SLAM as soon as possible. The test strip showed a CYA of 100. At the end of the summer I had the CYA at 40. Over the winter instead of adding bleach everyday I just kept a chlorine tab floater in the pool. Would this be a reason the CYA jumped to 100? I'm in the process of draining and adding fresh water to get the CYA to approximately 50 using the test strips. Are the strips accurate enough to do this for the SLAM process or should I just wait until I get the replacement reagents? Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.