It looks like deck is moving. Should I be concerned?

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
This pool is about 10 years old. The gap was caulked for the first time in 2011. I don't know why previous owner didn't caulk it for 5-6 years. When I calked it , I noticed deck moved on other sides of the pool (raising some places, moving away making gap larger in other places), but nothing changed since I calked it (in 2011) and this side was good until this winter. I just lifted the cover and I see the deck is about half an inch above the cooping. I hope it's deck moving and not pool sinking.

Should I be concerned now? If so, what should be done to prevent it from moving more? Should the holes be drilled and filled with cement or something? What cost am I looking at?

Also, I've never peaked at the skimmers before, but the whole thing is in ice, while pool water level is about 1 inch below the skimmer. Is it normal to have ice in the skimmer considering that I pored about a gallon of antifreeze there? I guess rain got in there and displaced antifreeze. Hope piping is intact, this winter was brutal.

Thanks

The best way to minimize (hopefully) that movement is to keep water out of it. I would remove the caulk that was used originally and replace it to seal that gap as best I could.

It will not be a complete fix because you cannot stop the ground from either heaving or settling but you can probably make it livable with new polyurethane caulk. Do not use cement or mortar of any kind.

That I'll do. I used vulkem 45, will probably use it again unless there's a better product someone can recommend.

This side of the pool, closer to the house was perfect until this winter. The deck was even with the cooping and the gap was less than half inch wide. The other sides of the pool had decking rise, move away, but not this side (not until now). This is the first time I see movements since I moved in 5 years ago.

Since the deck is rising near the pool, I'd expect to see the other side of the deck moving too, but it doesn't. There are cracks in decking in some places, but those cracks been there when I moved in.

The deck by the pool steps (same side) has risen by 3/4 inch.

I just want to make sure it's the deck that's moving and not the pool sinking (if that's even possible).

Thanks

P.S.
There's one other suspect - I have pvc piping under deck which takes the water from the downspout and from the pool deck out to the yard. I'll need to figure out a way to check if the piping is broken and the water from the roof travels underneath the deck. I also had another strange issue this winter - the fence post right next to the downspout leaned towards the house. The fence door couldn't be locked by the top bolt lock anymore, it looked like it moved by about an inch, but now it moved back about half an inch.

Ok, someone please explain me what's going on. We had a few warm days, above 40 and yestarday over 50 so no more ice anywhere. The skimmer no longer has that brown circle indicating the top of it was lifted.

I lifted pool cover and spots where the deck was risen by up to 3/4" is now up to 1/4". I have to re-do calking obviously, because it's all messed up... but what is happening here??

I think it's the deck that's moving and not the pool, because a couple of months ago the top of the fence post moved to the left about an inch and now moved back almost all the way (I have an arch on the top of the gate. arch is there because posts used to lean towards each other (I guess because the gate is attached to only one post and is pulling). Arc is loose and I could clearly see the marks when post moved away, plus the gate top lock wasn't locking). That post is not part of the deck, but it is about 1,5 ft in concrete in the ground and very close to the deck. It seems like the ground is moving, but is it because water getting under or because the ground itself is moving?

thanks.

I can post pictures, but have to make them smaller and probably delete some of the ones I already posted or find some web space to host them

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Frost heave is normal in the winter where the ground freezes. 2" is about the norm in my area. as the ground warms/thaws it settles back down. water, when frozen expands. all driveways, patios, sidewalks as well as the lawns around them will heave up. the pool, because it is installed below the frost line, will not heave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.